Schm-update: Android 4 on my Samsung Tab 10.1 Part 2

Galaxy-Tab-101-P7500-Android-ICS-update

Hi guys… Two weeks ago, I posted about the overblown nature of updates (lack of updates, more like!) on Android tabs.

Well, three days ago, I got this prompt that an update was available for my Samsung Gtab 10.1. It didnt say clearly whether it was ICS or not. Anyway, I clicked and downloaded the (relatively small) 245MB file.

An hour later, I had Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich running on my device!

Horrors!
To say that I regret running the update would be an understatement. First off, let’s be clear: there is nothing basically wrong with ICS. But since the update, I can see that the tab has slowed to a crawl. I mean, real 3rd Mainland bridge traffic crawl! I tell you, every singular action takes at least 4-5 seconds – even flipping between home screens… you flick to the left, and… wait..wait..wait.. it is horrible.

I have been online to search tech forums for advice on how to revert to my trusty HoneyComb 3.2, but nada. I am stuck with ICS, and I DONT LIKE IT!

The 2 major gripes I have are:
1. basic functionality has been impaired, seeing as my system is now tardy and slow – nothing opens in less than 5 seconds anymore, as opposed to a 1-2 second lag before.

2. even worse, BATTERY LIFE has become terrible! Peeps, I used to run my Gtab for a whole day i.e. from 100% in the morning, I use it at work and at meetings and often get back home in the evening with 30% power. With the ICS update, the Gtab doesn’t last past 6pm. That means that I have to carry a power cord around with me for charging on the move.

To cut a long story short, ICS is good, quite impressive as per technical features (I love the ability to close running tasks by just swiping), but its clear that the Tegra2 dual-core on the GTAB is no match for the obviously more resource-hungry ICS 4.0.

Based on my experience, my advice is that if you get the prompt on your phone or tablet, abeg leave am o!

Summary
Article Name
Schm-update: Android 4 on my Samsung Tab 10.1 Part 2
Loading...

0 Thoughts to “Schm-update: Android 4 on my Samsung Tab 10.1 Part 2”

  1. Eye_Bee_kay

    my advice is that if you get th prompt on your phone or tablet, abeg leave am o!

    Amen to that!

    It is unfortunate that, attempting to improve the device actually created more headaches.

    Still ruining Gingerbread 2.3.4 (fortified by thirdparty apps to address any deficiencies), refusing to bite at the ICS 4.04 available for the Sony XPeria Pro,

    Moral of this story:~> If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!

  2. You’re not stuck with ICS. You can always use ODIN to flash your tablet to any firmware you want. I have jelly bean running on my 8.9 galaxy tab and the performance is better than HC. I’ve also had ICS on it without the problems you mentioned. But these are custom ROMs

  3. belushi

    @funwa, you must have updated with a faulty firmware. These things happen sometimes. It will take feedbacks for Samsung to pull it off. It’s nothing new.
    What I advice people is to read about anything they find strange first before taking the plunge. I know updates from such big corporations should be risk safe. They are 90% of the time. Funwa has just experienced the other 10%.

    I update my wife’s tab 10.1 to ics even before Samsung provided it for her tab. There was an Italian firmware leak that was judged stable. So i downloaded it and flashed using Odin. It’s been awesome ever since. Unlike Funwa’s experience, my wife’s tab is twice faster than while on honeycomb 3.2.

    My advice to Funwa is to read how to flash using odin(in case you don’t know how), go to sammobile.com, download any stable firmware for your tab 10.1 and flash away. Your problem will be solved. Just ensure you back up everything in your tab first.

  4. Noni

    The fault is Samsung’s not Google Android or ICS. This is why I dislike having to go through a hardware manufacturer to get my updates.

    For a supposed “open” OS, we seem to have an awful lot of restrictions, including where and how we can get updates for our devices.

  5. sirdjay

    i experienced exactly what u wrote when i first upgraded to ics, plus,my tab started to drop signal, every now and then. I was so frustrated that after about three days of endurance, i decided to downgrade to honeycomb, and that was the worst of all, the tab couldnt see any network at all…so after much thought, i decided to install the ics purely without doing any back up of my data, i.e, format the tab, and install ics purely ; guy, u need to come and see my tab now it just too good. ….so, i suggest u format ur tab, make sure the rom u use is d right one and install witnout doing any back up, and lets see what happens

Leave a Comment