If you need to call into Nigeria from anywhere in the world, the 234 country code is essential. If planning to travel there, you will also find information about network coverage in Nigeria, as well as mobile and fixed network operators useful.
Let’s start with a few facts about the country.
Nigeria Fact File
- Official Language: British English
There are over 250 other languages spoken in the country, the most prominent of which are Hausa, Igbo and Yoruba.
- TimeZone: UTC/GMT +1 HOUR
- Capital: Abuja FCT
- Number of States: 36
- Active Telephone Lines: 162 million.
Fixed Wired/Wireless lines make up 0.2%, while mobile lines constitute 99.7% of telephone lines in Nigeria. the last 1% is taken up by VOIP services.
- Internet Subscription: 103 million subscriptions across the four big telecom operators.
Using The 234 Country Code
Using the Nigeria country code 234 allows you to call Nigeria from another country.
Nigeria telephone code 234 is dialled after the IDD. Nigerian mobile phone numbers are in the format 0xxx-xxx-xxxx while local wired/wireless numbers are in the format 0-area code-number.
The leading ‘0’ in the international call sequence is only used for domestic calls to all numbers within the country. So, to dial a number in Nigeria, remove the leading ‘0’ in the sequence.
Travelling To Nigeria
You will find the following information helpful should you need to travel to Nigeria.
Network Coverage in Nigeria: 2G/3G/4G Mobile Networks
These are the network frequencies supported by telecom operators in the country. You will need a mobile phone that supports these bands:
- 2G: GSM EDGE 900 / 1800 MHz
- 3G: UMTS WCDMA HSPA 2100 MHz
- 4G: LTE 3(1800) / 8(900) / 20(800) / 28(700) / 40(2300
Nigeria Mobile And Fixed Network Operators list
Here is a list of telecom operators in the country. You will be able to get a prepaid SIM card from any of these. It is required by law that you register your SIM card on purchase.
- Airtel (Mobile voice and 2G/3G/4G data)
- 9mobile – formerly Etisalat – EMTS (Mobile voice and 2G/3G/4G data)
- Globacom (Mobile voice and 2G/3G/4G data)
- MTN Nigeria (Mobile voice and 2G/3G/4G data)
- Ntel – formerly NITEL (4G data)
- Smile (4G data)
How to use the 234 country code
Do not forget, if calling Nigeria from anywhere in the world, you need to use the 234 country code before the telephone number you want to dial.
- xxx voice nigeria
- +234 9022042599 which telecum operator in nigeria
- nigeria mobile phones 234
- nigeria country coad in mobile network
- nigeria xxx phone number