In 2012, Nokia Mobile shocked the world when they put a 41 megapixels camera on the Nokia 808 PureView. Then, the Finish company followed up on that in 2013 with the Lumia 1020, packing another 41 megapixels camera. Both phones went on to be come smartphone photography legends. And now, rumour has it that we may see a 40 megapixel camera on the Huawei P20 Pro.
If you have followed smartphone photography in detail, you must already know that megapixel count is not the sole determinant of photo quality. Some 5 megapixel cameras produce better quality images than some 8 megapixel cameras. As I like to say, it is not about the megapixels count; it is about what you do with it. In the case of the Nokia 808 PureView and the Lumia 1020, Nokia did great things with it.
The question is, If the huawei P20 Pro does show up with a 40 megapixels camera, what will it do with it? Will it be just a marketing gimmick? Time will tell, but let’s dive deeper into the details of the rumour.
Huawei P20 Pro Camera Specs
Thanks to WinFuture, we have leaked details of the P20 Pro’s camera. It will come with a triple camera on its back, with the following arrangements:
- 40 megapixels sensor: this is the main camera.
- 8 megapixels sensor: this is a telephoto lens capable of “hybrid zoom” with up to five times magnification and 3x physical optical zoom.
- 20 megapixels sensor: this will likely shoot in black and white as well as provide bokeh effects.
One of the logical things the 40 megapixel camera should do is capture great details so that the resulting images will not lose any details when zoomed into. Both the Nokia 808 and Lumia 1020 pulled that off rather well. It is the least being expected from the P20 pro.
It is also rumoured that the Huawei P20 Pro will be equipped with Laser Auto-focus and an Infra-red RGB sensor, have apertures ranging from f/1.6 to f/2.4, and be able to shoot Super Slow Motion videos.
The Huawei P20 Pro will get Leica branding similar to the way Nokia’s PureView cameras had Carl Zeiss branding. The technical know-how of Leica will definitely come into play.
The Huawei P20 pro will be launched a week from now – specifically on the 27 March 2018.
- Mister Mo’s Nokia 808 PureView Review
- 808 PureView – Nokia Have Gone Mad; Wicked Too
- Do you need 41 megapixels? Digital Photography reviews the Lumia 1020
- Nokia 808 PureView Specifications
- First Impressions – Nokia 808 PureView
- PureView versus Pixel: How does Google’s finest stand?
- Sharp-Shooters: Nokia’s Cameraphone champs
We love to hear from you - your opinions, insights and experiences with smartphones and other gadgets. Be a part of Mobility Arena's active community by sharing a comment below if comments are enabled for this page.