80% of apps in the Apple App Store are zombies

Posted by

Apple App store

It is no news to those of us who have watched the mobile app dynamics with keen interest for years. The Apple App Store may have 1.2 million apps, but only about 240, 000 of them are being downloaded. That’s about 20%. The remaining 80% might as well not exist at all. Mashable reports that mobile analytics company, Adjust, has a report to this effect. Adjust says:

nearly 80% of the 1.2 million apps currently available are just sitting in the App Store with hardly any downloads at all.

Adjust calls them Zombie Apps – apps that are “just sitting in the App Store with hardly any downloads at all”.

It has been my opinion that beyond the 250,000 app mark, a lot of duplication and redundancies occur in the average mobile platform’s app store. Duplications and triplications, and loss of visibility. Of course, none of these take away the merits of the App Store. It just puts things into perspective and helps with clarity.

Head over to Mashable for the full details: Report: Nearly 80% of Apps in Apple’s App Store Are Basically Lifeless

  1. It has been my opinion that beyond the 250,000 app mark,a lot of duplication and redundancies occur in the average mobile platform’s appstore.

    Putting a figure to it like that would just be arbitrary.. like the Nigerian population where people just mention whatever figure catches their fancy…

    I wouldn’t put a particular figure…

    If you have your App Store populated by numerous apps in categories like Fart and others of zero productivity, yes, those hunongous figures won’t matter in the least. They are just for vacuous bragging rights.. nothing more.

    But if your App Store is replete with truly useful apps in Categories like File Explorers, keyboards, Clipboard, Office Productivity Suite, “duplications” and “redundancies” are to be actively encouraged. It brings about fierce competition… leading to increased quality of apps in those useful app categories.

    The end users benefit profoundly.

    A fallout of numerous apps in these Stores is the difficulty of new “useful” entrants to get noticed.

    For instance, comparing a keyboard app like Swiftkey and MultiLing “O”.. on Android, you hardly ever hear people make noise about the latter. But, MultiLing “O” is a revelation in efficient programming; an app with negligible size that does everything the big boys do, and much much more…

  2. Don’t confuse Zombie apps with spyware apps. There are loads of apps in the App Store I have no use for, that have been duplicated by better versions which are more popular.

    Funny enough I was talking to someone whose friend developed an iOS app, and his falls into that category of Zombie apps. When I heard what it was, I was like Zzzz.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *