Are there any Android 4.4 Kitkat users who frequent MOBILITY.ng? Did you know that the performance improvement that Android L offers is already available to some Kitkat devices? Here’s what to do to get it:
- Go to Settings -> About Phone on your Android Kitkat smartphone
- Click on the build number seven (7) times to activate Developer Mode
- Go back to Settings, and you should now see Developer options now. Select that
- In the next menu, you will find 1) Select runtime, and 2) High performance mode
- For runtime, switch from Dalvic to ART. The phone will reboot
- After reboot, you can go back to same Developer options to check the High performance mode button too
- A few apps may not yet be compatible with the ART runtime
- High performance mode will drain your battery faster
If carrying out the performance boost tips have adverse effects as listed above, you can reverse both processes same way you activated them. Again, do not forget that not all Kitkat devices have the option to switch runtime from Dalvic to ART already available, so if you do not find those options on your device, you just have to wait a while.
Meanwhile, if you are able to implement the above, do share how much difference in performance it makes on your android device.
Founder of MobilityArena. Yomi’s journey in mobile started in 2001. Besides obsessing over mobile phones, he also started creating WAP sites (early mobile-friendly websites created with WML). He began writing about phones in 2004 and has been at it since then. He has owned over 200 devices, from Symbian, Palm, PocketPC/Windows Mobile, BlackBerry/BB10, webOS, Windows Phone, Firefox, Ubuntu Touch, to Android, iOS, and KaiOS operating systems.