We all know about the importance of location tracking on our smartphones. This feature helps deliver useful services to us. about our location. For example, you could use Google Location Services to find the nearest restaurant to you or get a cab ride in your locality. However, this means that anyone with the right tools can monitor your movement. Should you want to disable location tracking though, you can. Here’s how to do that:
Disable Location Tracking via Web
You can visit google.com/settings/accounthistory on your desktop and follow this path: Places You Go > Manage Activity. Then tap on Pause Location History. You will see a pop-up which points out the things you will disable and an option to delete your location history.
Disable Location Tracking on Your Android Phone
On your Android smartphone, do the following:
- Go to Settings > Location
- Tap on the switch in the top right corner. This will turn off location services.
- Go back to Location > Google Location History.
- Tap on the switch on the top right of the screen to turn off location history.
- If you want to delete your location history altogether, tap on Delete Location History under Location History. Note that you cannot recover your location history if you delete it.
Disable Location Tracking on iPhone
If you want to turn off location tracking on your iPhone, go to Settings > Privacy > Location Services. There you will find a list of apps that shows whether the app accesses Location Services and if the app used your location data recently. Turn it off for any app you want to. Also, you will find an option called screen services. This allows you to turn off location tracking at system level.
To Turn Location Tracking Back On
You can turn Location Services back on if you wish. Just follow these instructions:
- Go to Settings > Location > Google Location Settings.
- Tap on Location Reporting and turn it on.
- Tap on Location History and turn it on.
On Apple devices, go to Settings > Privacy > Location Services and use the buttons to turn the service back on.