Fifth GSM operator, Etisalat, has finally thrown open its doors. The 0809 network has launched with a number of basic services with a few touches of innovation.
Etisalat currently offers one prepaid package that delivers voice, SMS, MMS, and mobile internet. On the voice front, the network offers the “Homezone” feature, allowing subscribers to call at lower rates when within a preset location. Another first is the “Call Collect” feature, allowing subscribers to place a call and have the recipient foot the bill. Ah!
Here’s a quick breakdown of Etisalat’s offer at the moment:
– Calls to Etisalat and other networks: 50k per sec
– Calls made from Homezone to Etisalat and other networks: 40k per sec
– Night Calls: 10k per sec
– SMS to Etisalat and others: N10
– SMS to international: N15
– MMS: N100 per message
– Mobile internet via EDGE (Enhanced GPRS – speeds “in excess of 180kbps”): 35k per kb
– Browsing on the Etisalat content portal: FREE
Well, that’s it for now. If you reserved your special number, you should receive an SMS soon notifying you of where to pick up your SIM. A few individuals have picked theirs already.