Facebook Portal TV is a video chat camera accessory that enables you to experience video calling, AR gaming and AR content on the big screen in your living room.
To use it and enjoy high quality video, plug Facebook Portal TV into your TV via HDMI cable, then sign into your Facebook account, and you can begin to make video calls using Messenger and WhatsApp, or interact with AR content. The device is a portable size and can seat below your TV screen.
Facebook Portal TV Features
- Smart Camera and Smart Sound: Smart Camera pans, zooms and widens automatically, so you can move and talk freely while always staying in frame. And Smart Sound enhances voices while minimizing unwanted background noise.
- Video call with Messenger and WhatsApp: Connect with friends even if they don’t have Portal. Make video calls between your Portal and a smartphone or tablet with Messenger and WhatsApp.
- Story time and AR effects: With Story Time you can bring your children’s favorite stories to life with music, animation and AR effects. And bring even more fun to calls with AR masks and more.
- Alexa Built-in: Check the front door, control your smart home, listen to your favorite music, watch the news and more, hands-free, using your voice.
- Private by design: Portal was created with privacy, safety and security in mind. And it has clear and simple settings, so you stay in control.
- HMDI cable connectivity.
When you want to activate it for use, just say “Hey Portal”, and ask it to call someone in your Contacts. Of course, that is possible because like all other smart home audio/video services and devices, Facebook Portal TV is always listening. And what you say gets recorded at the other end too, though Facebook says you can opt out of that.
If you like the idea of having a connected listening/viewing device apart from your smartphone living with you in your home, with the attendant privacy issues, Facebook Portal TV starts shipping on November 5th, 2019. The price? It sells for $149.99 only.
Follow MobilityArena on social media!
We love to hear from you - your opinions, insights and experiences with smartphones and other gadgets. Be a part of Mobility Arena's active community by sharing a comment below if comments are enabled for this page.