The unveiling of Windows 10 in September, ushered in a new era of Windows with the vision of creating one platform, one store, and same experience across all range of devices, from the largest screens to no screens at all. The Windows Insider program backed by over 5 million users provided feedback, and will be offered Windows 10 as a free upgrade to genuine Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1 customers.
Over the months we’ve seen snippets of features of Windows 10 on PCs, tablets, phones, and even the Raspberry Pi, with new technologies like Microsoft Edge, Cortana, Continuum and Windows Hello. Today, Windows 10 is official and it’s available in 190 countries. Highlighting it’s key features:
1.) Faster and familiar:
- You still get the familiar Start Menu, Task Bar, and Desktop. Then the added Live Tiles to provide streaming of your choice updates.
- The new Windows 10 is designed to be compatible with the hardware, software and peripherals you already own and free updates as usual to keep thing in check.
- OneDrive is also present for online storage, and easy file sharing across devices.
2.) Extra Security:
- Enhanced Windows Defender and Smart Screen to help safeguard against viruses, malware and phishing.
- Windows Hello is also available to provide a fast, secured, password-free way to log in (hardware dependent).
3) More personal and more productive:
- Voice, Pen and Gesture input methods that allow you to interact more naturally with your PC.
- New Office Mobile apps on Windows 10 – Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and One Note – available in the Windows Store. Full featured OneNote comes installed with Windows 10 for your digital note-taking needs. The upcoming Office desktop apps (Office 2016) also hopes to offer the richest experience for professional content creation.
- Cortana is available making it easy to find the right information at the right time (available in select markets).
- Easy app switching with Snap and Task View.
- Continuum for optimizing your apps and experience beautifully across touch and desktop modes.
4) New apps and Services:
- Windows 10 features a new fast Microsoft Edge browser for quick browsing, reading, and sharing of web pages.
- Xbox App is integrated to Windows 10, to connect friends, games, and accomplishments across Xbox One and Windows 10 devices.
- A companion Phone app for iPhones, Androids and Windows phone will be made available to work seamlessly with your Windows device.
- Built-in entertainment and productivity apps including Photos, Maps, (Microsoft’s new music app) Groove, and Movies & TV.
Windows 10 for Businesses
The new Windows 10 for Businesses is ready for corporate deployments. Offering companies protection against modern cyber-attacks. Ability to control the frequency of updates and select features/functionality suitable for each group of employees. More information for business customers is available here.
New Universal Store and Apps
The new Windows Store opens today and is now accepting new apps for Windows 10. The Windows Store offers popular free and paid apps, games, movies, TV shows and the latest music, which work across all Windows 10 devices. On the new Store you can use Cortana to control apps with your voice and get real-time notifications on your app tiles, and all store content are certified by Microsoft to help keep your devices safer.
The Window 10 SDK is available to developers beginning later today. More information on the latest developer tools for Windows 10 is available here.
Upgrading to Windows 10
Following the millions of reservations, the new Windows 10 will be rolled out in phases to help manage the demand.
Upgrading to Windows 10 is easy for genuine Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 PCs or tablets. For Business, Enterprise, Windows 10 Education users, who have volume licensing, they can start upgrading from August 1.
Manufactures from henceforth will start preloading their new devices with Windows 10.Windows Insiders already running build 10240 have the latest Windows 10 already. All they need do is check Windows Update and make sure they have all the final updates. The can also click here to upgrade.
We love to hear from you - your opinions, insights and experiences with smartphones and other gadgets. Be a part of Mobility Arena's active community by sharing a comment below if comments are enabled for this page.