GarageBand is an audio program developed by Apple for the purpose of producing music. The app was launched in January 2004, and since then several musicians have made use of it to create good music. GarageBand allows users to create multiple tracks with pre-made MIDI keyboards, pre-made loops, a selection of musical instrumental effects, and voice recording.
Note that the software was designed for Mac and iOS devices. Thus, Windows users and other operating systems are not compatible. However, there are several websites who claim that they have a Windows version of GarageBand. This is not true, as Apple has not officially released a version of GarageBand for Windows.
But this does not mean that you cannot use GarageBand for Windows. There are several ways to get GarageBand for Windows. However, the safest way to use the software on Windows is to create a Mac virtual machine (using a virtual machine software) on your Windows PC. Here’s how to do that:
Steps To Install GarageBand for Windows PC
- Download and install the VirtualBox software on your computer. Make sure your computer has a lot of free hard disk space on it before you install it.
- Now, download a copy of MacOS Sierra to your computer. After that, extract the contents of the file.
- Open VirtualBox and select New. This is to create a virtual machine. After opening it, give it a name.
- Set the Guest OS as Aple Mac OS X, and set the version as Mac OS X 10.11 or 10.12. After that, allocate as much memory as you can to the machine, then select Create a Virtual Disk Now.
- Select Create, choose the new virtual disk and select Settings. Next, select use an Existing Virtual Disk.
- Now, go to the Sierra download location and select the Sierra.vdmk file. Next, move to Documents/Virtual Machines on Windows Explorer and right-click the VMX file.
- Paste “smc.version = “0” ” to the end of the file, then save it.
- Next, go to Settings and select System. There, Unselect the option labeled Floppy.
- Select the Acceleration tab in System, then check the box next to Intel VT-x. Then click on OK, after which you can click on the green Start arrow to load the virtual machine.
This should take a while, so give it time. At some point, you should see the Apple installation screen, where you should input your time zone, set up an account and password and set up components.
When the virtual machine is done loading, you can install GarageBand on your Windows computer. However, before you can install GarageBand, do the following:
- Open Terminal on your Apple virtual machine, then type in the following: “./vmware-resolutionSet 1920 1080”. This is to set a usable screen resolution.
Now you can install the software. Run the installation file and let the windows installer do its work. You will need an Apple ID to download from the App Store, though.
Latest posts by EmmyCN (see all)
- Find your iPhone with Apple Watch’s Ping iPhone feature - February 10, 2018
- How to fix iPhone Bluetooth issues - February 6, 2018
- Here are some things to try out on Twitter for Android - December 7, 2017