The global smartphone market moved past the 300 million unit mark for the first time in its history in the second quarter of 2014 (2Q14). Here is how the different platforms have performed:
- Android: 255.3 million
- iOS: 35.2 million
- Windows Phone: 7.4 million
- BlackBerry: 1.5 million
- Others (Tizen, Sailfish, etc): 1.9 million others
Total Shipments: 301.3 million
A few other important points:
- Statistics show that Android’s incursion into the low-end market has paid off handsomely, with many of its OEM partners focusing on the sub-$200 segments.
- Things could start to change for Windows Phone during the second half of 2014 when numerous vendors within key emerging markets begin to ship
- low-end phones $0-200 make up 60% of Android and Windows Phone shipments
We love to hear from you - your opinions, insights and experiences with smartphones and other gadgets. Be a part of Mobility Arena's active community by sharing a comment below if comments are enabled for this page.