It is not every day that a subsidiary of a company disrupts its parent company, but Huawei’s Honor brand has just done that in Q2 2018. And thanks to Honor smartphones, which contributed to 55% of Huawei’s sales, the company has recorded the largest marketshare of any smartphone brand in China since Q2 2011.
In China, five smartphone brands account for 90% of sales. All the others are scrambling for the crumbs that make up the remaining 10% of the market. While 10% is a small segment, it is a huge market, thanks to China’s population.
Here is how the top 5 brands in China stand in Q2 2018:
- Huawei (includes Honor smartphones)L 27%
- Oppo: 21%
- vivo: 20%
- Xiaomi: 14%
- Apple: unspecified
Honor SMartphones Charging Ahead
Huawei Honor’s phones have offered great value for money in the budget smartphone segment since the sub-brand began operations in 2013. The Honor sub-brand enjoys an autonomous operation under Huawei and so has been able to innovate and move at its own pace.
Founder of MobilityArena. Yomi’s journey in mobile started in 2001. Besides obsessing over mobile phones, he also started creating WAP sites (early mobile-friendly websites created with WML). He began writing about phones in 2004 and has been at it since then. He has owned over 200 devices, from Symbian, Palm, PocketPC/Windows Mobile, BlackBerry/BB10, webOS, Windows Phone, Firefox, Ubuntu Touch, to Android, iOS, and KaiOS operating systems.