Windows Phone Store allows users to download XAP files (and now APPX files for WP 8.1 and forward) to an SD Card and install them manually. You can install downloaded apps to your phone’s memory or to an SD card. You can also sideload apps from an SD card to your phone. Here is how to go about manually installing apps on your Windows Phone smartphone.
To download .XAP/APPX files from the Windows Phone Store on the web:
- Open the web browser on your PC and go to www.windowsphone.com.
- Use the search form to find the app that you want to download.
- Once on the app page, scroll down the page till you find a link that says, “Download and install manually” in the narrow left column.
- Click it and you get a prompt to save the .XAP/APPX file to a location on your PC
- If your phone or SD card is plugged into your PC in mass storage mode, you can save the file directly to your SD card. If not, save the file to PC and copy it to your SD card later. The file has to be on your SD card eventually for the installation process
- After you have saved or copied the file to SD card in your phone, launch the Windows Phone Store app on your phone
- Tap More icon, and then tap Install local apps. (If you’re running an earlier version of Windows Phone, look for the SD card option instead.)
- Select the apps you want, and then tap Install and complete the installation process.
Don’t forget: 1) You have to copy the app file to an SD card to be able to install it on your phone. 2) You can install on either your phone memory or on SD card too.