International money transfers are much easier than than they used to be. Thanks to modern digital technology, sending cash to your loved ones in foreign countries is easy. As such, it has become much easier to send money to Rwanda from anywhere else.
There are a few things you need to have ready to be able to do the transfer. This guide walks you through how to send money to Rwanda using WorldRemit and MTN Mobile Money.
How does it work?
Here are a few things to note about how this works:
- You, the sender, will need a WorldRemit account.
- Your recipient in Rwanda must have a registered and active MTN Mobile Money account.
- Once you have done the transfer from WorldRemit, the recipient in Rwanda will get it immediately in their MTN Mobile Money account.
How to set up an MTN Mobile Money account
If tyhe person you want to send money to in rwanda does not have an MTN Mobile Money account yet, you can send them the below information on how to open one.
All existing subscribers of MTN Rwanda are eligible to open an MTN Rwanda Mobile Money account. If your recipient does not have an MTN line yet, ask them to get one. They will also need a valid ID (Rwandan international passport, driver’s licence or government ID). Once they have these requirements, they are to follow the steps below to setup a mobile money account:
- Visit the nearest MTN Mobile Money agent in their neighbourhood, with their ID.
- Request for an MTN Mobile Money account.
- they will be sent an SMS that contains a request to complete the process.
- They need to set a 4-digit PIN to secure their MTN Mobile Money account. This PIN is required for sending and withdrawing money from their account.
How to send money to Rwanda using WorldRemit
Visit the WorldRemit website, or download the WordlRemit app, and login to your account. If you do not have an account yet, create one and login.
To send money to Rwanda, you will need two details from your recipient: your recipient’s MTN Mobile Money account number, and their mobile phone number. in your WorldRemit Wallet, carry out the following steps:
- Select the currency account tile you want to send money from.
- Select Transfer.
- Select a new or existing recipient in Rwanda.
- Enter the amount you want to send. The fee and exchange rate will be displayed.
- Select the preferred way to pay them – in this case, mobile money account.
- Select Pay now to make the transfer.
The transfer is instant. World Remit will send you a confirmation email. Both you and the recipient will get SMS notifications of the transfer as well. That is it.
While there are other money transfer services that let you send money to Rwanda, they often have higher costs. They include: MoneyGram, Western Union, and Xpress Money. The exchange rate for those services are also usually less favourable.
To collect the sent money, the recipient needs to visit the nearest MTN Mobile Money agent in their neighbourhood to
How much does WorldRemit charge to send money to Rwanda?
We are unable to confirm the exact fee for Rwanda, but WorldRemit’s fee for most countries is $3.99.