You may not be aware of it, but Twitter offers a service that allows you post updates using good old SMS. Yes; you do not need an internet connection in order to tweet or receive notifications of your mentions.
Setting up your phone allows you to:
- Send tweets with text messaging on your phone.
- Receive texts for DMs and the tweets from users you want to be notified about.
Of the four GSM networks in Nigeria, three currently offer this access – MTN, Airtel, and Glo. Unfortunately, Etisalat is not in the picture yet.
You can setup text messaging for Twitter either on the Twitter website, or on your phone using SMS.
Go to the Twitter website, login to your account, and go to your Settings menu. Select the “Mobile” tab. Complete the setup process.
You have options to select what sort of notifications you want to receive.
SetUp With Your Phone
In your phone SMS menu, send START or SIGNUP as an SMS to the relevant shorrtcode:
- On MTN/Airtel, Send to 40404
- On Glo, send to 20644
You will be required to complete a one-time login with your username (Twitter handle) and password.
Now You Can Tweet From Your Phone
To tweet, just compose your tweet using your phone’s SMS menu and send to the relevant shortcode for your network (40404 for MTN and Airtel; and 20644 for Glo).
Each tweet is billed your network’s standard SMS rate.
Note also that twitter’s limits is 140 characters. So, though SMS lets you type up to 160 characters, you must keep your tweets below 140.
Here are a few useful commands for using SMS for Twitter! Send these commands to Twitter:
– FOLLOW username (to start following a user)
– UNFOLLOW username (to stop following a user)
– ON/OFF (to turn all Tweet notifications on or off)
– ON/OFF username (Set Tweet notifications for a user on or off; you’ll still be following them even if you set it to off)
– GET username (Shows you the latest tweet from any user)
– RETWEET username (Retweet a user’s latest tweet)
– FAVORITE username (Favorite a user’s latest tweet)
– DM username your-message (Send a direct message to a user)
Hope you find this useful during those periods that your network’s internet connection is acting up and you are having Twitter withdrawal symptoms 😉
- 40404 work on all network
- using twitter via sms on mtn
- sms glo code to follow twitter
- how to get tweets as text messages for mtn, glo, airtel subscribers
- twitter fast follow shortcode on etisalat code
- stop tweeters massege 40404