Before we look at the full Huawei Mate SE specs, it is important to state that the Mate SE is a US-branded version of the Honor 7X. But hold on a minute. Huawei had earlier launched the Honor 7X in the United States in February, but guess what they did; that 7X for the USA has less RAM and internal storage than the regular 7X that everyone else knows.
And now, the company is re-launching the full-featured Honor 7X in the US as the Mate SE. If your head is spinning like ours did, take a seat and have a cocktail on us while we try to unspin this web.
A tale of three Honor 7Xs
So, we currently have three Huawei Honor 7X smartphones:
- Honor 7X International: 4GB RAM, 64GB storage. This is the regular phone that was launched late 2017.
- Honor 7X US: 3GB RAM, 32GB storage. This was launched in the USA in February.
- Huawei Mate SE: 4GB RAM, 64GB storage. The latest kid on the block and has same specs and features as the regular phone.
We don’t get what must have inspired this strategy, because it sure does not make any sense to us. Why introduce a stripped down version at all in the first place? And then, Huawei has to re-brand the full scale version for the same market.
The three devices look exactly the same on the outside apart form the Huawei logo instead of the Honor logo on the Mate SE. If you are still confused about it, think of what many potential customers in your shoes and how this kind of dancing around hurts the brand.
Brands do the damnedest things. Think of the costs of modifying the stripped down Honor 7X for sale in the USA, and then the costs of re-branding the original version. The Mate SE has a $249.99 price tag.
Huawei Mate SE Specs
If interested in the full specs of the Huawei Mate SE, here they are:
Wireless Network and Software
- 2G mobile networks: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 MHz; CDMA 800 / TD-SCDMA
- 3G mobile networks: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 2100 MHz
- 4G mobile networks: LTE Frequency Bands + VoLTE 1(2100) / 3(1800) / 5(850) / 8(900) / 38(2600) / 39(1900) / 40(2300) / 41(2500)
- SIM Type: Dual Nano-SIM, Dual standby
- Software / OS: Android 7 Nougat + EMUI 5.1
Design, Appearance, Materials
- Dimensions: 156.5 x 75.3 x 7.6 mm
- Weight: 165 g
- Display: 5.93 inches, 1,080 x 2,160 pixels (407 PPI), 18:9 aspect ratio, IPS LCD with 2.5D Glass
- Sensors: Fingerprint, Accelerometer, Proximity, Ambient Light, Compass
- Build: Unibody aluminium
- Colours: Black. Gold. Blue
Internal Hardware Specs
- Processor Type: 64-bit Octa-Core 2.36 GHz Cortex-A53
- Processor Name: HiSilicon Kirin 659
- Graphics Processor: ARM Mali-T830 MP2
- RAM: 4 GB
- Internal Storage: 64 GB
- External Storage: Dedicated Micro-SD card up to 128 GB (hybrid slot)
Photography, Video Recording
- Rear: 16 megapixels + 2 megapixels, f/2.0 aperture, auto-focus, and LED flash
- Video recording: 1080p @ 30 fps
- Front-facing: 8 megapixels, f/2.2 aperure, with flash.
- Music Support: mp3, aac, aac+, eaac+, amr
- Loudspeaker: Mono
- Video Support: mpeg4, h.263, h.264
- FM Radio: Yes
- Bluetooth: v4.1
- WiFi: Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- GPS: Yes
- USB: microUSB v2.0; USB-OTG
Miscellaneous Specs and Features
- Battery Charging: Regular
- Battery Type and Capacity: Lithium-Ion 3340 mAh
- Announcement: December 2017
- Availability: December 2017
- Phone Price: NGN 85,000
Disclaimer: While we take the pains to ensure accuracy, we can not guarantee that the information about Huawei Mate SE on this page is 100% correct.
We love to hear from you - your opinions, insights and experiences with smartphones and other gadgets. Be a part of Mobility Arena's active community by sharing a comment below if comments are enabled for this page.