Automobile company Chevrolet has made so many strides in the industry that it needs no introduction now. The Chevrolet Camaro is one of the company’s most popular products. There’s a lot to learn about the beautiful automobile.
Fun Facts About Chevrolet Camaro
Here are some interesting and historical facts about the Chevrolet Camaro:
- The Chevrolet Camaro was first introduced on June 28 1966. However, the first delivery to customers was in September of that year.
- The company seems to have one major goal with the Camaro. This is to be better than the Ford Mustang at all costs. However, the Ford Mustang is also a great car.
- The Chevrolet Camaro was not supposed to be called that. In fact, at some point, it was supposed to be called the Chevrolet Panther. This was just one of 2,000 possible names that were considered.
- There are a lot of rumors about why the car was named the Camaro. The official company statement in 1966 says that “Camaro” is an old French slang for camaraderie and friendship. However, an interesting story told to the press by some company staff has it that the Camaro is simply a small, terrifying animal that eats Mustangs. Yet another rumor has it that it is a rare diseases that kills horses (the Mustang is named after a breed of wild horse). Now, the rumor least harmful to Mustangs states that the name simply meets Chevrolet’s naming convention with the letter C e.g. Corvette, Chevelle, Corvair. It’s entirely possible that somehow this is also a swipe at the Mustang. . .
- The Camaro had eight engine options to choose from. This was back when the technology was still in its infancy.
- The International Race of Champions used only Camaros all the way from 1975 to 1989.
- The second-generation Chevy Camaro was produced for 11 years, making it the longest Camaro production run.
- The 2010 Chevrolet Camaro was recorded as having an 18-hour assembly time per car.
- The first Camaro to come with a four-cylinder engine in 30 years is the 2016 LT.
- The Chevy Camaro has appeared in over 2,500 movies till date.