Electric cars are becoming more popular nowadays. These are cars that do not rely on burning hydrocarbon fuels, instead making use of electricity. However, how much do you know about them? Here are some facts about electric cars.
- Electric cars were invented before fuel engine cars. Also, the first small scale electric car was created in 1828. It was not very efficient, but it worked.
- The first crude electric vehicle that was regarded as an actual car was created by English inventor Robert Anderson in 1828.
- Between 1901 and 1912, a third of all cars on US roads were electric. That seems unbelievable in modern times, considering the number of fuel-burning cars now in use.
- The average speed of electric vehicles at the time was 14 miles per hour. To put that in perspective, Usain Bolt broke the world record in the 100m race in 2009 at an average speed of 23.5 miles per hour. He has since broken that record twice.
- In 1905, Ferdinand Porsche, creator of the famous Porsche line of cars, created the first hybrid electric car, the Lohnr-Porsche. This car was powered by electricity stored in a battery alongside a gas engine.
- By 1935, all the electric vehicles seemed to disappear. This was because Ford Motors built a much faster vehicle that ran on crude oil, which was readily available in Texas and was cheap.
- Up to 80 percent of battery power is used to power an electric car, compared to as little as 14 percent from fuel engines. This makes the electric car a highly efficient mode of transport.
- The fastest electric car in the world is the NIO EP9, created by a company called NextEv. The top speed is 194mph, and the car can go from 0 to 124mph in 7.1 seconds. In case you forgot, the first electric cars averaged a speed of 14mph.
- The electric car with the longest driving range is the Tesla Model S, which has a range of approximately 335 miles.
Latest posts by EmmyCN (see all)
- Find your iPhone with Apple Watch’s Ping iPhone feature - February 10, 2018
- How to fix iPhone Bluetooth issues - February 6, 2018
- Here are some things to try out on Twitter for Android - December 7, 2017
- facts about electric cars
- the best and the interesting facts about electronic car
- 3 facts on robert anderson who invented the electric car