Around the beginning of this year, a sudden hype about Blackberry smartphones hit Nigeria and almost every young adult that I knew had plans to get one.
The rush for it was big as big could get. I remember reading a story online a while back concerning a girl that used her tuition fee to get a Blackberry phone.
However, is it possible that many people who went for the Blackberry at the peak of its fame/rush in Nigeria are now slowly but gradually having the scales removed from their eyes?
Why do I ask? Here are a few factors that I am looking at:
- Messaging/E-mails/Social Networking
- Social Status/Class/Efizzy
- Some Gaming
Pardon me if I got anything wrong on my list up there but those are the major reasons that I see as to why people, especially Nigerians, get Blackberry phones. However, it seems that a lot of Blackberry users have ended up disappointed and disgruntled.
The reasons for their disappointments? Here is a breakdown:
- Internet/BIS – It is a known fact among BB users that the mobile network operators in this country do not offer good blackberry services but still market them anyways. Who gets hit by this? – you guessed right, the Blackberry owner.
- Social Status/Class/Efizzy: I think the hype over BB has decreased compared to 4-5 months ago when carrying a Blackberry device auto-magically gave you “class”, even if you didn’t subscribe to the service. Do not get me wrong, it still has an aura of class associated with it but not as huge as before.
Bear in mind too that with the advent of low-cost blackberry devices, the class thing has been diluted.There are now different classes awarded to people using different models of the phone e.g. Curve (8520) owners don’t get the same level of social respect as someone using a Torch (9800).
- Some Gaming – Most people that got Blackberry devices thought that they could eat their cake or berry in this case and still have it. However, they woke up to the sad realization that BB was not the most gaming-friendly platform and that games that could be deemed decent were far too expensive for their pockets.
This is my opinion as to why I think that the hype around Blackberry devices is dying down. It may not be the most complete synopsis of the situation, but I would love to hear thoughts, opinions and ideas in the comments.