Rodents are an inescapable part of daily life, especially around rural areas. If you use a vehicle in such areas, it is most likely that these little animals will find your car and occupy it at some point. As a matter of fact, rodents pose a big problem to vehicles, because they tend to gnaw through wires, insulation and hide stuff in important places, which could prove injurious to your vehicle. Therefore, it is very important to keep your vehicle animal-proof. There are several ways to keep the animals away from your vehicle. However, not all of them work. Here they are anyway:
- · Block every small entrance to the engine compartment: These could include placing traps around the wheels, or blocking the engine openings with a wire screen.
- · Seal off rat hiding places near the car: This means you need to keep the area around your car free of shrubbery and various other growths. Also, you need to block any rat-sized entrance to your garage if you have one, and also spray the place with rat repellants.
- · Use electronic deterrents: There are various electronic devices that can be used to scare away some rodents. For example, rats can hear ultrasound, and it is annoying to them. Also, rats like dark places, so installing strobe lights close to your car could scare them away.
- · Place traps to remove the rats that get past other defenses: This includes making use of the old-fashioned mousetraps. Glue traps too may work. However, some of your traps might also capture and kill domestic animals, so you have to be careful.
- · Make your engine and it entrances smell bad to rats: This involves making use of various chemical substances, including peppermint oil, used cat litter, red pepper, some kinds of soap, and so on.
- · Hide your pet food away from your car: Really, you should keep anything edible away from your vehicle, as this attracts rodents.
- · Leave the hood open: This might not always be practical, but rats and other little animals look for the warmest places in order to make their nests. Leaving your car hood open would discourage that.