Motorola has announced that the initial roll out of the Android 6.0 Marshmallow upgrade for the 2015 Moto X Style (3rd Gen) and 2014 Moto X (2nd Gen) has begun. However, this initial roll out is limited to only Brazil and India. Full deployment will proceed in stages over the next few weeks.
Users will receive a notification on their phones when the update is available for them.
Here are a few of the new improvements and features in the Marshmallow upgrade:
– A new Memory Manager that lets you check memory usage of all your installed apps
– Volume controls have been greatly improved
– Do not disturb button has been added to the quick settings panel for easy access.
– System UI Tuner will appear in the settings menu at the very bottom once enabled. It provides a few simple UI tweaks.
– Google Now on Tap allows contextual information to be delivered based on content on your screen with a long press of the home key.
– Doze is a battery management feature that detects when your device is not in use and it will automatically go into a deep sleep state which saves your battery.
– App Standby reduces battery drain by putting seldom-used apps into a reduced activity state.
– Expandable Storage support allows for microSD cards to be used either in a portable storage or an internal storage mode. Portable storage allows your pictures, videos, audio and other media files to be stored. Internal storage allows both media storage along with apps and games but can not be used by other devices.
– RAM manager in settings which allows a consumer to view memory used by the system or an individual app over different time frames
– Automatic App backup not only backs up your apps but their associated data so when restored they will be the same as they were before
– Text selection has been improved
Motorola say that they have also started the approval process for 2015 Moto X Pure Edition (3rd Gen) and Marshmallow will roll out to it in the next few weeks. There is no word yet on the update for Moto G 2015.