It is sad to see one of the greatest companies ever go the way Nokia is going at the moment. Very sad. Still, it is the way of this life. I will be brief.
Nokia is not doing well. If I ended there, that wouldn’t be news; would it? No; we all already knew that for over a year now. Here are the real news items:
- Nokia to cut 10,000 more jobs
- Nokia kills Meltemi – that project to deliver an OS for low-end smartphones
- Nokia now to focus on investing more resources into fewer markets: USA, China, UK, other European countries.
- Nokia shuts down plants in Canada, Germany and Finland
- Nokia sells Vertu
- Nokia to make even lower cost Windows Phones
Did you get these news items? Very bad news end-to-end.
Nokia say they are “putting countries into tiers, we’re deliberately focusing more on some markets at the expense of others.” As published above, that focus is on USA, China, UK, other European countries. The rest of us must look elsewhere for excitement and satisfaction. No? No problem.
Nokia say they will be making even much lower cost Windows Phones? What are these guys smoking? The Lumia 610 reviews all over the place emphasise how much limited the device is because Windows Phone was designed for high-power devices to start with. Now, Nokia wants to make cheaper versions of this? Sigh.
Meltemi, scrapped. Really?
I don’t know what to say anymore. I am so disappointed. So as not to say nasty things, I will end it here, because what I really feel like doing right now is curse up a storm.
Let me just ask, Who has bewitched you, oh Nokia?