Opera Mini is now available as a native Symbian application. Opera Mini is that popular mobile browser that helps users save time and cost through its proxy-based service. Traditionally, it has been java-based.
Some of the advantages of now having it as a native Symbian app include:
- Huge start up time improvements
- Lightning fast page load times
- Improved scrolling performance
- Integration with your device’s native text input (by default, the Opera virtual keyboard is used for entering URLs, but you can switch this to always use native T9 or QWERTY – depending on your device)
- Option to choose default access point – no more annoying connection dialogs
The even nicer part of this release is that it is backwards compatible with much older Symbian smartphones from Series 60 v2.0 handsets, as well as with the latest Symbion devices, e.g. the N8. Remember though that it is a beta release and will not necesarilly be trouble-free.