We use our mobile phones fro everything these days. We bank on them, store private information, and have our personal and business communications on them. Our mobile phones and smartphones are huge libraries of private and critical information. That is why it is important that you take steps to prevent your information on the device from getting stolen too. Here are some tips to protect information from theft on your phone.
How to Protect information from theft on your phone
- Use a lock screen: This is the most important thing. First, it prevents people around you from randomly going through your phone. Also, if your phone gets stolen the thief might need to wipe the phone for it to be of any use.
- Hide your passwords: This is important if you tend to use your phone in a public place. When your passwords are not visible, it’s harder for a thief to guess from watching you enter it.
- Use a good app locker: This helps to protect information on your device by ensuring that your apps, files, photos, videos and contacts remain private. With a good app locker, you can be sure that even if your phone is open, no one can go through your device without permission.
- Enable Android Device Manager and remote location tracking. This would help you locate your phone if it gets lost or stolen. Furthermore, you can remotely lock it or wipe it if you need to.
- Don’t leave your phone unattended. This cannot be emphasized enough. It is very important. Always be conscious of where your phone is.
- Location. Always make sure your device’s location sensing is accurate. Otherwise it would be difficult for Android Device Manager to find it.
- App Permissions. Know what permissions your apps are requesting. Some apps request permission for things that they have no business with. These apps could be sharing your information to hackers without your knowledge.
- Choose your app download sources wisely. A lot of these sits are just hotbeds for malware. However, not all of them are bad. Nevertheless, be careful where you download apps from.
- Encryption. Preferably use an encrypted platform to communicate. These platforms include WhatsApp and Telegram.
- Update your apps. Whenever an app update is available, please update the app. some of these updates contain security fixes and other solutions to problems you might be experiencing within the app. So it helps if you update your apps regularly.
Be A Boy Scout
All these tips do not guarantee that your phone won’t get stolen or that your information cannot be compromised. However, following these tips reduces the chances of that happening and improves your chances of successful damage control should it happen. Be a boy scout. Be prepared.