The RED Hydrogen One smartphone is not your usual. It is something of an odd ball in the world of smartphones. It promises you a 3D-like display and cinematic video recording. But does it bring real innovation or is it another gimmick?
If you ask us to describe it, we would say that this is a futuristic, camera-centric smartphone for cinematic creators and enthusiasts. So, it is not a consumer phone, and that is not its only problem in today’s tough smartphone market.
Who is RED and why should you care?
RED is a global manufacturer of professional digital cinema cameras. While you may not have heard of the brand. chances are that you have seen the products of its…well…products. You see, RED’s cameras are behind movies like Ant-Man and The Wasp, Crazy Rich Asians, and Deadpool 2.
So, if you are suddenly excited abut the RED Hydrogen One, we understand. Welcome to the club.
Meet the RED Hydrogen One smartphone
Here are the key specs of the Hydrogen One:
- Size: 164.78 x 85.71 x 10 mm
- Weight: 263g for Aluminium Body; 292g for Titanium Body
- Display: 5.7 inch, 2560 x 1440 pixels, LTPS-TFT 4-View holographic Display with Gorilla glass
- LED Notification Indicator
- Processor: Snapdragon 835 Octa-core
- RAM: 6GB
- Internal Storage: 128 GB for Aluminum variant; 256 GB for Titanium variant.
- External Memory: microSD up to 512GB.
- Rear Camera: 12 Megapixels, LED Flash.
- Front Cameras: 8 Megapixels.
- Video: 4K video recording.
- Audio: Deep Cavity Front Facing Speakers; A3D Spatial Surround Sound.
- Battery: 4500mAh.
That is an impressive specs list. Imagine being able to view 3D/4D video on a smartphone and without the need for 3D glasses or other special glasses. Imagine carrying a smartphone that can record cinematic video.
Being designed to be modular, users will be able to extend its functionality with one or more modules.
RED Hydrogen One Price
To own a RED Hydrogen One smartphone, you will need to shell out $1,300 for the aluminium variant or $1,595 for the titanium version.
Consider that the Hydrogen One has no wireless charging and water resistance, and those prices can be unforgivable.
RED Hydrogen One Smartphone Reviews
It is all great on paper, but early reviews of the RED Hydrogen One smartphone all say that the phone disappoints. They all point to underwhelming video recording quality – a key selling point of the phone – and buggy software as issues that need to be addressed.
Reviewers have criticized the fact that no modules were ready at launch time either. Other reviewers have dismissed the 4-View display as a gimmick. In all, we have found no reviews of the phone that have been complimentary. It looks like RED’s foray into the world of smartphones took off on the wrong foot.
Follow MobilityArena on social media!
Latest posts by MobilityArena InfoDesk (see all)
- OPPO F11 Pro – Complete Phone Information - February 23, 2019
- Xiaomi Mi 9 SE – All you wanted to know - February 21, 2019
- 8 Energizer feature phones announced; will run KaiOS - February 20, 2019
- red hydrogen smartphone