The Apple ipad was launched on Saturday April 3rd to a herald of hype from Apple fans, the Tech world, critics and the web. Steve Jobs, the CEO of Apple calls the ipad as truly “Magical” and “Revolutionary”. Presently the ipad is only available in the US, but within two months, it is expected to be launched in Europe and elsewhere. When it gets to Europe, I expect to order one and then give a hands-on review on mobilitynigeria. But before then, it is still safe to say that from intensive study and follow-up of the ipad news and saga on the web and on CNN that the long awaited ipad had generally mixed to favorable reviews.
What exactly is the ipad? Is it a net-book? Or a net-book replacement? Or could you call it a tablet PC. Or is it just an entertainment device with a fantastic and eye candy user interface? What niche will it occupy if it becomes mainstream or if it ever becomes mainstream? Do we need another device separate from our laptop and mobile phone? This analytical review shall attempt to look at these pertinent questions. And push us closer to the inexorable question; Do we really need an ipad?
This is not really a hands on Review but an analytical look at the ipad and opinion of the author on the ipad before he gets one for himself, possibly in the summer,
The ipad is Apple’s multimedia tablet device. It is just like a tablet PC or a small MAC but with simplified user interface and a 9.7 inch diagonal with a resolution of 1024 – by – 768 pixels. From reviews I have read on the net and videos on youtube, it appears to have an intuitive, fluid and impressive user interface. Not un-similar with the iphone. In fact, the ipad shares the same Operating System (OS) with the iphone and ipad touch. The OS is 3.2. compared with the iphone which is presently 3.13. The Physical Specs is; Height: 9.56 inches by Width: by 7.47 inches by Depth:0.5 inch (13.4 mm). Weight: 0.68 kg.
The Space between a Laptop and a phone
When Apple first announced the ipad in an event at Cupertino, California that I previewed live from a streaming video from Macworld.com, I felt myself engulfed in his enthusiasm and started there and then to develop a love for this device. Steve Jobs, Apple’s Founder positioned the device in the space between a Laptop and a phone. This singular act greatly impressed me because there were times in my life where my laptop may appear too big and then my phone will look way too small for the occasion. At such times, the ipad could fill the gap. I believe that the ipad cannot replace my phone anytime soon but the question remains whether it can replace my laptop from time to time, depending on the occasion.
Features of the Ipad
1. Tablet form factor with a large screen measuring 9.7 inches.
2. Built-in speaker and Microphone
3. Apple’s designed 1 Gigahertz A4 system on Chip Processor.
4. On Board Wi-Fi 802.11a/b/g/n, with Bluetooth 2.1
5. Vibrant colour display on the screen with a resolution of 1024 – by – 768 pixels.
6. SSD memory of 16, 32 or 64 Gigabyte
7. 10 Hours battery life when watching Video, (Up to 10 hours of surfing the web on Wi-Fi, watching video, or listening to music) Or One week on Standby.
8. iBook – An E-reader for reading Ebooks.
9. Iwork for working with Documents. Iwork consists of iPage, inumbers and Keynote. Those persons familiar with a Mac Computer or Macbook will appreciate this!
10. An already established app store with more than 5000 ipad specific application or more than 150,000 iphone OS compatible apps
11. Support for 3G sim card (in some models).
12. Fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating
13. Support for display of multiple languages and characters simultaneously
14. Game Centre. To play games with friends or strangers and lets you view your worldwide rank on a certain game as well as an achievement board.
1. No USB port (Although you can use an accessory from the Apple store. This will cost more money.)
2. No Front facing Camera
3. No QWERTY keyboard (But for God’s sake, this is a tablet!). You can as well use it with a wireless Bluetooth keyboard or a key board Dock. (This will however set you back 130 dollars!)
4. NO Multi-tasking (At least this is only temporary, until summer, when it would start multi-tasking with an OS 4.0 update).
To be concluded – Editor