Google Maps has become a very important feature of our daily lives. It helps us get everywhere. More importantly, with Google Maps, your chances of getting lost are greatly reduced.
Here are some practical (and fun) things you can do with Google Maps.
Things You Can Use Google Maps For
- Live Traffic. Google Maps gives you live traffic information. With it, you can tell the kind of traffic on the road, with normal traffic showing as a green or blue line. Where traffic is slowing, you will see a yellow line, and where there is a red line, you need to take a different route.
- Offline Navigation. Google Maps works with both Wifi and mobile data, but if you are going to be outside of coverage area, you can use it in Offline Mode too. What you need to do is save maps for offline use. To do that, tap on the menu button at the top left corner of your screen, tap on Offline Areas and tap on the plus button to add a new area.
- Share Locations or Directions. To share directions, set your start point and destination point, choose your mode of transport and tap the menu button at the top right corner. Press Share Directions. The recipient will receive a summary of the instructions as well as a link to the map.
- Save Addresses. You can also save important addresses. Tap on Menu>Your Places and tap on Home or Work to set the addresses. This makes the process of getting directions faster.
- Remember Locations. You can add stickers and labels to your places of interest. This helps you remember their positions. To do this, tap on the three dots to the right side of your home or work and select Change Icon. Choose a sticker from the options provided.
- Street View. You can see your location in Street View. Just go toa location. There will e a small rectangular window with an image and a circular arrow. Tapp on that to bring up Street View.
- Pick A Transport Mode. Choose your mode of transport. Google Maps has four modes of transport. Check them out by tapping the icon at the bottom of the screen.
- Avoid Annoyances: On the same screen, you will find options to set additional criteria such as your preferred mode of transport and avoiding toll roads.
- Route Schedules. Google Maps gives you the schedules of public transit vehicles and the times of any transfers.
- Discover New Places: Using the search function in the Maps app, you can search for new places, e.g. restaurants, malls, etc, when visiting a new city. Try it today; it works!
Do not forget that you can use gestures on Google Maps. For example, you can double-tap on the screen and slide without raising your finger. Slide up to zoom in and slide down to zoom out. Tilt the map by sliding with two fingers. Slide up for more tilt, slide down for less tilt. Also, you can rotate the map by turning two fingers in a circular motion.