Of the four (4) GSM networks, setting up a connection between a capable phone and PC for internet access on three of them, namely: MTN, Glo, and Etisalat, is a simple, straightforward affair. Once you have your data cable (or Bluetooth connection), APN, username and password, you are good to go. With Zain however, there is one further step to be taken – a proxy must be setup or else the internet connection won’t work.
Here is a concise guideline to help you get things working.
Install Your Phone’s PC Suite on the PC
This usually comes in an installation CD in the phone sales package. Slot the CD in the CD drive and complete the installation.
Connect Your Phone to the PC
I’m assuming that you are using a USB cable here. Connect the cable to your phone and then to the PC. Your PC should indicate that your phone has been connected, and tell you your phone is ready to be used.
Launch the PC Suite on PC
Under the “Programmes” menu, launch the PC Suite application. Select the “Internet Connection” menu. The title may vary a bit, so don’t panic if that’s not exactly what you see. In Sony Ericsson PC Suite, for example, it is called “Mobile Networking”.
Some PC Suite applications automatically setup the connection. Others may require you to manually do so. If you can’t get the PC to establish an internet connection, select the manual setup option, and use the following parametres wherever a request for any of them is made by the application:
– APN: wap.ng.zain.com
– Username: wap
– Password: wap
– IP address: 172.18.254.5
– Port: 8080
Complete the setup by clicking the relevant button, and now you have just one more step to go. Yes; just one more.
Setup a Proxy in Your Browser
If you use Internet Explorer, follow these steps:
Tools -> Internet Options -> Connections -> Settings -> Look in the section titled “Proxy Server”, tick the box that reads “Use a proxy server for…” and enter the following:
Also tick the check box that says, “Bypass proxy server for local addresses”. Then click “OK”, and “OK”.
If you are using Firefox, you are likely to know what to do to setup a proxy, but here goes all the same:
Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> Network -> Connection -> Settings
Under Connection Settings, tick “Manual proxy Configuration”, and enter the following:
HTTP proxy: 172.18.254.5
Then click “OK”, and “OK
You should be able to browse now on your PC using a Zain line on your phone.
1. Your phone must have a modem built-in for this to work
2. Your Zain line must have been activated/provisioned for Zain mobile internet (To get provisioned, send SMS in the format, “internet sonyericsson P910i”, to 232, save the settings sent to you by SMS, and start browsing.)
For Other GSM Networks
For other GSM networks, use the following settings for the connection (no need for a proxy with any of them)
– APN: web.gprs.mtnnigeria.net
– Username: web
– Password: web
– IP address: 10.199.212.2
– Port: 8080 or 9201
– APN: glosecure
– Username: gprs
– Password: gprs
– IP address: 010.100.098.022
– Port: 8080 or 9201
– APN: etisalat
– Username: blank
– Password: blank
– IP address: blank
– Port: blank
Latest posts by Mister Mobility (see all)
- Soda S2 Review - February 18, 2019
- Does Samsung S9 Plus perform better with Android Pie? - February 17, 2019
- This brand offers the best value for money smartphone in Nigeria - February 15, 2019
- yomi apn
- zain internet manual settings for pc
- zain pc
- zain nigeria proxy setting for pc
- how to use zain modem in laptop
- zain modem connection steps
- zain sim all diaries
- zain sim card not provisioned
- zain connection for laptop
- how to set zain internet in laptops