Given a chance to pick between the Bold Touch 9900 (left) the Torch 9810 (right), which would I choose? Actually, I have used both devices, and my experiences with them are the reason for this post.
The basic understanding is that the two are essentially the same under the hood – Blackberry OS 7, 1.2 GHz processor, 768 MB RAM, 8GB internal storage, 5 megapixel camera, 720P video recording, GSM/EDGE/3G/HSDPA/HSUPA.
- Form Factor: The 9900 is a bar, while the Torch 9810 has a slider QWERTY
- Display: The 9900 has a 2.8 inch display, while the Torch 9810 has a bigger 3.2 inch display
- Battery: The 9900 has a 1230 mAh battery, while the Torch 9810 has a 1270 mAh unit
- Camera: The 9900’s camera is fixed focus, while the Torch 9810’s camera is an autofocus unit
- NFC: The 9900 has NFC on board, while the Torch 9810 does not have it
Initially, I was leaning towards the 9810 because of the slightly larger display, bigger battery and the autofocus camera. However, over time, I have found myself longing for the more compact form of the 9900, though I will have to settle for poorer battery life and a slightly smaller display. Perhaps having the PlayBook means that a large display on mobile is no longer essential. Perhaps not.
Oh, then there’s still the nagging WordPress app issue. WordPress for BlackBerry still does not make a connection on my 9810 though I had no issues with it on the 9900. This hampers my productivity in some way and could be a strong influence in my current leanings.
Given a choice, which of the two will be your choice?