Given a chance to pick between the Bold Touch 9900 (left) the Torch 9810 (right), which would I choose? Actually, I have used both devices, and my experiences with them are the reason for this post.
The basic understanding is that the two are essentially the same under the hood – Blackberry OS 7, 1.2 GHz processor, 768 MB RAM, 8GB internal storage, 5 megapixel camera, 720P video recording, GSM/EDGE/3G/HSDPA/HSUPA.
- Form Factor: The 9900 is a bar, while the Torch 9810 has a slider QWERTY
- Display: The 9900 has a 2.8 inch display, while the Torch 9810 has a bigger 3.2 inch display
- Battery: The 9900 has a 1230 mAh battery, while the Torch 9810 has a 1270 mAh unit
- Camera: The 9900’s camera is fixed focus, while the Torch 9810’s camera is an autofocus unit
- NFC: The 9900 has NFC on board, while the Torch 9810 does not have it
Initially, I was leaning towards the 9810 because of the slightly larger display, bigger battery and the autofocus camera. However, over time, I have found myself longing for the more compact form of the 9900, though I will have to settle for poorer battery life and a slightly smaller display. Perhaps having the PlayBook means that a large display on mobile is no longer essential. Perhaps not.
Oh, then there’s still the nagging WordPress app issue. WordPress for BlackBerry still does not make a connection on my 9810 though I had no issues with it on the 9900. This hampers my productivity in some way and could be a strong influence in my current leanings.
Given a choice, which of the two will be your choice?
Founder of MobilityArena. Yomi’s journey in mobile started in 2001. Besides obsessing over mobile phones, he also started creating WAP sites (early mobile-friendly websites created with WML). He began writing about phones in 2004 and has been at it since then. He has owned over 200 devices, from Symbian, Palm, PocketPC/Windows Mobile, BlackBerry/BB10, webOS, Windows Phone, Firefox, Ubuntu Touch, to Android, iOS, and KaiOS operating systems.