You called but I didn’t pick your call? I am so sorry. I do hope that you understand that sometimes, it isn’t always possible or proper to take a telephone call. Here are ten (10) valid things that I was possibly up to when you called.
Why I missed your telephone call
- Perhaps I was sleeping or having a nap. You know, that break from the world’s madness that we all need from time to time to maintain our sanity. Yes. And personally, I dislike being woken up from beauty sleep, especially by a telephone call.
- I could have been driving at the time and didn’t have a hands-free device on. You do know how dangerous it is taking a phone call manually while on the highway. I am sure that you wouldn’t want me or some other innocent road user dead or maimed.
- There is a possibility that I was in a meeting. It could be a formal meeting in which I was trying to strike a deal so I have cash in the bank to meet my day-to-day obligations. Or it could be a counselling session. But someone else had my attention locked down at the time.
- Perhaps I was in a theatre seeing a movie. Yes; some people constitute themselves a nuisance and take phone calls in a crowded movie theatre. But it would be rude and inconsiderate of me to do so. And, yes: movies are essential to life. All work and no play…
- It could be that I was having a meal. You know, like breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Perhaps I was having a meal at the time. Table manners; no telephone calls.
- Perhaps when you called, I was doing some heavy load shedding in the loo, or having a shower. Not all of these mobiles are water-proof these days, you know. Mine certainly isn’t.
- Perhaps I just didn’t want to talk to anyone at that time. Maybe I was in a bad mood after losing money or after a fallout with a loved one.
- I was ill. You do know that people still fall ill, and I am people; right? It is even possible that I was on a hospital bed, or being given one of those horrible injections at the time you called.
- You do know that sometimes I am in a TV or radio studio recording and producing a video, or banging away at my PC producing a story or report. A telephone call is a distraction during such sessions. Please bear with me.
- Lastly, it could be that I was busy having sweet, steamy sex at the time you called. There’s a possibility that you might be able to take a phone call during sex, but it would have to be really bad sex for me to take your telephone call. And I doubt that you wish bad sex on me.
The above list isn’t exhaustive. I just wanted to share. Don’t be angry. Life happens in a hundred different ways from day to day. If you call and I don’t pick, give me the benefit of doubt and send me a message or call at some other time. Life is too short to be fuming over this.
If I miss your call, I will get back to you. And don’t forget: if you have called once or twice and the recipient does not answer the call, it is good prectice to send a message. That makes it easier for them to get back to you, especially if yourf call was about something important.
Bonus point: To be honest, there is a possibility that you are a rude, uncultured, irrational, impossible, pesky person and I am tired of talking to you, so I deliberately missed your telephone call so as not to have to talk to you. Deal with it. Go fix up and then we can start all over again.