Not all content on the internet is wholesome or useful, and so it becomes important to restrict access to these websites in some situations. Whether you’re a parent wanting to keep your child safe from harmful content online or you’re an employer looking to increase productivity in the workspace, blocking websites can be an effective solution.
In this article, I’ll show you how to block a website on Android. It’s an easy process, one that’s guaranteed to give you peace of mind because it’ll help your loved ones and colleagues browse the internet safely and responsibly.
How Can You Block A Website on Android?
Blocking websites on Android is important to prevent distractions and restrict access to inappropriate content. It’s also important to protect against viruses and theft of personal data. You can do this with or without a dedicated app. There are several ways to block websites on your Android device from built-in parental controls to third-party apps. With these tools, you can ensure that your device is being used responsibly and safely. Here are some of the most common methods:
Block Websites with Built-in Parental Controls
Many Android devices come with built-in parental controls that allow you to block specific websites, including adult content. To use this feature, go to Settings > Digital Wellbeing & Parental Controls > Parental controls > Set up parental controls. From there, you can choose which websites to block.
Block Websites Through your Browser Add-ons
The Chrome browser is installed by default on most Android smartphones, but it does not provide an easy option to block websites. Many browsers do not, but some, such as Mozilla Firefox, make it simpler with an add-on. You can download Firefox through the Google Play Store. After that, all you need to do to block websites is install the LeechBlock add-on.
- Start Firefox on your mobile device, and then go to Menu (⋮) > Add-ons.
- In the list of recommended browser extensions, click the + (plus) icon next to LeechBlock NG.
- After you’ve added it, you’ll find it under the Add-ons area.
- Tap Settings on the LeechBlock NG menu to begin blocking websites of your choice.
You can set up blocks for keywords or up to 30 sites to block and add individual website domains. Additionally, you can specify when and how to block them. It looks hard at first glance, and there will be a lot of manual work involved, but you’ll successfully block any site you choose.
Use Custom DNS Servers to Block Adult Sites
Use the free FamilyShield DNS servers from OpenDNS if you want to completely block websites with adult material, pirated media, and malware on your Android phone. These servers make sure that your phone doesn’t access certain kinds of local network websites.
Start by opening the Settings app on your Android device. By phone model, the specific procedures to complete the following process differ.
- Navigate to Settings > Connections > Wi-Fi.
- Tap the gear icon next to the Wi-Fi network to which you are connected to.
- Tap View More on the next screen that appears. Then click IP Settings and select Static.
- Type the following into the “DNS 1” field: “220.127.116.11”
- Click the “DNS 2” field and enter the following: “18.104.22.168”
- To save your changes, tap “Save” at the bottom.
Access to adult websites and other dangerous content will now be blocked on your Android phone by your custom DNS servers. Keep in mind that for each Wi-Fi network you use, you’ll need to set these DNS servers. Android won’t automatically apply these servers to all of your wireless networks.
Block Websites on Android With a Third-Party App
A free site-blocking app is an easy way to block a website on your Android phone. BlockSite (a free but ad-supported application) is one such program that allows you to restrict access to your designated websites on your web browsers at the desired time.
When you block a site on your Android with this app, it is no longer available in any of your web browsers. If you desire, you can unblock any of your blocked websites later.
- Download and install the free BlockSite app on your phone. Launch the app after that, go through the welcome screens, and provide it with every permission it requires.
- Choose Blocklist from the app’s main screen, then click the + (plus) button.
- Enter the URL (web link) of the website you want to block in the text field at the top of the Add Sites/Apps screen.
- When you’re done specifying the sites, hit Done in the top-right corner of the app.
- Click Done when prompted.
After specifying the websites you want to block, you may find that they are still accessible. This is because you need to set up a schedule for when the block will come into effect. Once you click ‘Schedule’ on the main screen and set your preferred days and times following the on-screen instructions, the specified websites will be blocked during the designated time period.
Note that on your Android phone, Google Chrome does not have a built-in feature to block inappropriate websites. You can, however, use an extension like BlockSite using the steps explained above. Google Family Link is another app you can try to block websites easily.
To conclude, blocking websites on your Android device can be an effective way to prevent unwanted content from appearing on your screen. By using one or more of the methods described here, you can block websites on your Android device and ensure that the device is being used safely and responsibly. Also, check out this category for more useful Android tips.