I like to think of myself as a OnePlus lover. Having tried my hands at models from Samsung, Xiaomi, and Google in recent times, I am leaning towards adopting OnePlus as my go-to smartphone brand. I am also a lover of timely software updates and need to be sure of software support for OnePlus smartphones.
Do OnePlus smartphones get software updates? Yes; they do; they get both major updates and security patches. But for how long? In July 2021, a new OnePlus software update policy was announced, and it detailed the company’s approach, going forward.
OnePlus Software Update Policy Explained
The software update policy addresses the company’s different lines of products, in three categories: flagship smartphones, upper mid-range products, and lower mid-range products. If you weren’t in the know, OnePlus does not manufacture entry-level Android phones. Here is how OnePlus provides updates to each category:
- Flagship products: The company’s flagships are top-of-the-line smartphones like the OnePlus 8 series, OnePlus 9 series, and OnePlus 10 series. The category includes the T and R versions of each series, e.g., OnePlus 9T or 9R. These devices will receive 3 major Android updates and 4 years of security updates. Example: if a smartphone in this class launches with Android 12, it will get Android 13, Android 14, and Android 15, as well as monthly security updates all through Android 16. Note that it will not get Android 16 itself; just the security updates.
- Upper mid-range products: These include the Nord and Nord CE line. These devices will receive 2 major Android updates and 3 years of security updates.
- Lower mid-range products: These include the Nord N series like N10, N100, and N200. all N series devices will receive 1 major Android update and 3 years of security updates.
It is a bit complicated, if you are new to OnePlus phones, but you will get the hang of it. As it is, the new OnePlus software update policy is excellent if you are buying a OnePlus flagship smartphone. You get three years of major updates. If you go for one of the more pocket-friendly Nord models, you get 2 years of major updates. And with the Nord N models, you get one major update.
Frequently Asked Questions About OnePlus Software Update Policy
How long will OnePlus phones get updates?
Back in July 2021, OnePlus announced a new update policy for its smartphones and asserted that the OnePlus 8 series and newer versions will get three major Android OS updates and four years of security updates.
Does OnePlus get software updates?
Yes, OnePlus smartphones get software updates, ranging from one major update to 3 major updates, depending on the class of smartphone you buy. .
Which Android phone is best for support?
By way of comparison, Samsung’s Android phones currently get the best software support – some models get as much as 4 years of major software updates.
That is all about the new OnePlus software update policy. It isn’t as robust as I would like; it isn’t nearly as good as Samsung’s, and it is nowhere near what Apple provides for iPhones. But it is much better than what most Android phone makers offer. For best support, buy a OnePlus premium flagship, where your budget allows you. If you can’t afford that, all OnePlus phones will get updates anyway; others, just not as much as the flagships.
- Don’t miss our reviews.
- Join our WhatsApp Group, to be notified of the most important articles and deals,
- Follow us on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube.
Founder of MobilityArena. Yomi’s journey in mobile started in 2001. Besides obsessing over mobile phones, he also started creating WAP sites (early mobile-friendly websites created with WML). He began writing about phones in 2004 and has been at it since then. He has owned over 200 devices, from Symbian, Palm, PocketPC/Windows Mobile, BlackBerry/BB10, webOS, Windows Phone, Firefox, Ubuntu Touch, to Android, iOS, and KaiOS operating systems.