You probably never thought you would ever see a feature phone with 4G LTE and VoLTE. It exists – in India. Reliance, the mobile network operator that has been disrupting mobile data in the country, has introduced a 4G feature phone. The Reliance Jio Phone features an alphanumeric keypad and a 4-way navigation button.
No; this is different from what Nigeria’s Ntel did with the Nova phone – an Android smartphone in a feature phone’s body. The Jio phone is a proper feature phone, yet offers the most advanced LTE technology.
The Jio phone runs KaiOS, a mobile platform forked from the now defunct Firefox OS, and has Reliance Jio’s apps, including the the JioCinema app for watching movies, pre-loaded on it. The mobile phone has support for voice commands, payments via NFC, as well as the ability to cast media.
It sounds like such a package, especially considering that we are talking about a feature phone. The Jio Phone is an example of how feature phones are evolving.
Reliance Jio Phone Features, Specifications and Price
Network and Software
- GSM: No
- 3G: No
- 4G: LTE + 4G VoLTE support
- SIM Type: Single Nano-SIM
- OS: KaiOS
- Weight: g
- Display: 2.4 inches, 240 x 320 pixels (166 ppi)
- Build: Plastic
- Colours: White. Black.
- Processor Type: Dual-Core 1.2 GHz
- Processor Name: Spreadtrum 9820A/QC8905
- Graphics Processor: ARM Mali-400 MP2
- RAM: 512 MB
- Internal Storage: 4 GB
- External Storage: Dedicated Micro-SD card up to 128 GB
- Rear: 2 megapixels
- Video recording: Yes
- Front-facing: 0.3 megapixels
- Music Support: mp3, aac, aac+, eaac+, amr
- Loudspeaker: Mono
- Video Support: mpeg4, h.263, h.264
- Wireless FM Radio:Yes
- Bluetooth: v4.0
- WiFi: Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, Hotspot
- GPS: Yes
- USB: microUSB v2.0. NFC
- Charging: Regular
- Battery: Li-Polymer 2000 mAh
- Announcement: July 2015
- Availability: September 2017
- Phone Price: Rs 1500 (about $25)
Disclaimer: While we take the pains to ensure accuracy, we can not guarantee that the information on this page is 100% correct.
Interested in KaiOS? Find more information on the official website HERE.