You probably never thought you would ever see a feature phone with 4G LTE and VoLTE. It exists – in India. Reliance, the mobile network operator that has been disrupting mobile data in the country, has introduced a 4G feature phone. The Reliance Jio Phone features an alphanumeric keypad and a 4-way navigation button.
No; this is different from what Nigeria’s Ntel did with the Nova phone – an Android smartphone in a feature phone’s body. The Jio phone is a proper feature phone, yet offers the most advanced LTE technology.
The Jio phone runs KaiOS, a mobile platform forked from the now defunct Firefox OS, and has Reliance Jio’s apps, including the JioCinema app for watching movies, preloaded on it. The mobile phone has support for voice commands, payments via NFC, as well as the ability to cast media.
It sounds like such a package, especially considering that we are talking about a feature phone. The Jio Phone is an example of how feature phones are evolving.
Reliance Jio Phone Features, Specifications and Price
Network and Software
- GSM: No
- 3G: No
- 4G: LTE + 4G VoLTE support
- SIM Type: Single Nano-SIM
- OS: KaiOS
- Weight: g
- Display: 2.4 inches, 240 x 320 pixels (166 ppi)
- Build: Plastic
- Colours: White. Black.
- Processor Type: Dual-Core 1.2 GHz
- Processor Name: Spreadtrum 9820A/QC8905
- Graphics Processor: ARM Mali-400 MP2
- RAM: 512 MB
- Internal Storage: 4 GB
- External Storage: Dedicated Micro-SD card up to 128 GB
- Rear: 2 megapixels
- Video recording: Yes
- Front-facing: 0.3 megapixels
- Music Support: mp3, aac, aac+, eaac+, amr
- Loudspeaker: Mono
- Video Support: mpeg4, h.263, h.264
- Wireless FM Radio:Yes
- Bluetooth: v4.0
- WiFi: Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, Hotspot
- GPS: Yes
- USB: microUSB v2.0. NFC
- Charging: Regular
- Battery: Li-Polymer 2000 mAh
- Announcement: July 2015
- Availability: September 2017
- Phone Price: Rs 1500 (about $25)
Disclaimer: While we take the pains to ensure accuracy, we can not guarantee that the information on this page is 100% correct.