What do you do when you don’t have mobile data to surf the internet? You connect to a WiFi hotspot. However, WiFi is not free. You have to pay for your WiFi usage, and sometimes it costs as much as your mobile data. Don’t worry, though; you can get free WiFi almost anywhere you go.
A word of caution though: you should be aware that there are risks associated with free WiFi networks. If possible, avoid any sensitive activities or transactions while connected to an open WiFi network. If possible, use a VPN along with it as an extra layer of security.
Having said that, here are a few ways to get free WiFi outlined below.
A few ways to get free WiFi
- Ask a friendly stranger: A lot of times, you run into people that brought their own hotspot in public places. These people probably came there to work, so you might not get the attention you seek. But if you ask nicely, you can get the password to their WiFi. Just be polite and ask nicely.
- Use WeFi to pool resources: This app automatically connects you to any free WiFi in your area. It is based on the combined resources of millions of users. Once you install the app, anytime you need some free WiFi, it connects you.
- You can simply scan for any open networks around you. Just go to Settings>WiFi and search for hotspots. Then connect to any network that is labeled “open” or “Unsecured”.
- There are several restaurants and coffee shops that are WiFi hotspots.they use this method to attract customers. Simply walk in to any of those, e.g. McDonalds or Starbucks or KFC, and make a purchase. Then ask for the WiFi password.
- Instabridge: This app compiles crowd-sourced WiFi connections and passwords. Once you have the app, you can connect to any of the networks it offers.
- Now here’s an option that requires some audacity. Just walk into a hotel and ask for the WiFi password. Usually, the front desk staff can’t tell whether you are staying or not, so they might just give you the password to their WiFi.
- If you live near a library, then you can easily make use of their WiFi for a limited time. Sometimes, the password is written out in a prominent lace for all to see.
- Some cable companies offer free WiFi access in their subscription deals. Call customer service to find out if you have data access included in your subscription.
Remember that free WiFi is not always safe. You should take appropriate security measures when you get free WiFi anywhere, so your personal/private information does not get stolen.
We love to hear from you - your opinions, insights and experiences with smartphones and other gadgets. Be a part of Mobility Arena's active community by sharing a comment below if comments are enabled for this page.