A lot of people like to have either a laptop or a tablet, depending on what they need either device for. Some devices work as both at the same time. The HP 2017 Spectre x2 is two things at once: a laptop and a tablet. However, it does not fully stand up to either of these devices. But it gets its job done, while also looking quite nice.
HP has always had a thing for elegant, thoughtful design, and the HP 2017 Spectre x2 embodies that. One could compare the device to the Microsoft Surface pro, but there are a few differences. These include a more solid feel when typing or inking, a 12.3-inch display with a denser pixel pitch, and a bundled keyboard and stylus. Well, these would be considered an advantage if you overlook the battery life. You can type as hard as you want with this device, and it provides very good feedback. The touchpad is relatively big, too, given the size of the keyboard.
The screen is also great, in terms of productivity. Granted, it is small. But you can fit in as much or as little as you need, due to the high pixel density; the 2017 Spectre x2 comes with 293 pixels per inch, compared to the Surface Pro’s 267 pixels per inch. This makes for sharp displays and easy reading. However, if you’re looking for accuracy, the displays are not quite there. The HP 2017 Spectre x2 only covers about 93 percent of sRGB.
As for the battery life, the device also falls short. According to reports, the device has a battery life of 5.8 hours, which is not nearly as long as that of its competitors. However, it supports quick charging vis USB-C.
The updated kickstand has a nice tension, and it can be pulled out with one hand. It can also tilt back with the screen at a 165-degree angle, for inking with firm support. The HP Active pen has a slightly rubbery feel for the stylus, which is fine.
The HP 2017 Spectre x also has two USB-C connectors for charging, driving an external monitor or data transfer. However, data transfer is limited to 5Gbps. Also, the IR camera has been moved to the front, where it is used for Windows Hello log-in.
With all these features, the HP 2017 Spectre x2 two-in-one can deliver a great experience. However, do not expect it to last all day on battery.
HP 2017 SPECTRE X2 SPECIFICATIONS
- Display: 12-inch, 3,000×2,000 touch display
- PC CPU: 2.4GHz Intel Core i7-7560U
- PC Memory: 8GB DDR3 SDRAM, 1,866MHz
- Graphics: 128MB dedicated Intel HD Graphics 640
- Storage: 360GB SSD, Micro SD slot
- Ports: 2x USB-C/Display Port
- Networking: 802.11ac, Bluetooth 4.2
- Operating System: Windows 10 Home (64-bit)
- Weight: 1.1kg (with keyboard), 0.8kg (without keyboard)
Latest posts by EmmyCN (see all)
- Find your iPhone with Apple Watch’s Ping iPhone feature - February 10, 2018
- How to fix iPhone Bluetooth issues - February 6, 2018
- Here are some things to try out on Twitter for Android - December 7, 2017