The iDEA Hackathon is a 42-hour app-building contest and will culminate with launch of the iDEA Centre @ Tinapa Knowledge City.
The purpose of the Hackathon is to give developers, designers, and entrepreneurs the chance to create applications which showcase the vibrancy of Nigeria’s film/entertainment industry and our rich cultural heritage. Developers will be challenged to come up with ideas – form teams – build a prototype of their app – be it mobile, web apps, widgets or games- and present to our Hackathon judges for a chance to win one of 3 prizes.
– Interested participants nation-wide will register via iDEA Facebook page
– 50 eligible contestants considered to contest will be notified and invited for the 42-hour Hackathon at TKC
– TOP THREE (3) applications/solutions developed will be awarded with cash prices and devices.
HOW TO APPLY
– Interested Contestants in the Hackathon will register via iDEA Facebook page
– Eligibility of interested participants will be based on the ability of the participant to answer correctly the assessment conducted during registration.
– The final 50 contestants would be selected after a series of testing.
– NB: Applicants cannot attempt to register more than once.
The iDEA Hackathon will be judged by a panel of experts throughout the Entertainment and Tech industry including various top entrepreneurs, venture capitalists, and celebrity judges. Listed below are the rules:
1. You can prepare wireframes, outlines, notes, idea validation, make digital mockups, you name it. But no coding can be done until Tuesday 30 July
2. Teams must consist of at least 1 person but at max 5 people
3. Submissions: Each team must submit by 3pm on Thursday the Aug 1 in order to demo their application to the judges.
4. Presentations/ Judging: Presentations will start at 4pm on Thursday. You will have 2 minutes to present your idea to the panel of judges and then have a 60 second Q and A period. You’ll have access to a microphone, VGA cords, and projector to display your application. We want to see demos of your idea/application, not power point presentations.
5. Your team and your app will be judged based on 4 criteria:
– Innovation / Ambition
– User Interface / User Experience
– Overall Quality
– Quality of Pitch / Impact
6. Ownership and IP
Teams have full ownership of everything they build at the event and are free to do with it as they wish.
There are four criteria for judging an app in the Hackathon, they are:
1. Innovation / Ambition
2. User Interface / User Experience
3. Overall Quality
4. Quality of Pitch / Impact
Each judge will assign an app a score between 1 and 10 inclusively for each of the four criteria, with 1 being unexceptional and 10 being exceptional.
Penalties will be assessed for:
1. Using technology / libraries that were not disclosed before judging.
2. Checking code into Github after the deadline.
Judges will use their own discretion in deciding how much impact a penalty has on the team’s score.
Innovation / Ambition
– Was the idea unique, or a different take on an existing/similar app?
– What was added to the app that made it special or more useful?
– Was the idea behind the app ambitious? Creative?
– How well did the app execute upon the theme/category chosen?
User Interface / User Experience
– Does the UI of the app look professional/fun, or is it sloppy?
– Is the app easy to use?
– Does the workflow of the app make sense, is it intuitive?
– Does the app work completely from start to finish?
– How many and how severe were any bugs encountered?
– Was anything in the app that wasn’t fully implemented, like a useless button that was supposed to do something?
– Did the team scope their app’s features well given the time frame of the Hackathon?
Quality of Pitch / App Impact
– Does the app seem like something people would want to buy and use outside of the Hackathon?
– Was the team able to explain their idea and what the app actually did?
1st PRIZE: CASH – N500,000, Devices, software
2nd PRIZE: CASH – N300,000, Devices, software
3rd PRIZE: CASH – N200,000, Devices, software
We love to hear from you - your opinions, insights and experiences with smartphones and other gadgets. Be a part of Mobility Arena's active community by sharing a comment below if comments are enabled for this page.