There are not many 10GB RAM mobile phones around, so it can be tough finding one to buy. But we have the full list to make your search easier.
We began to see the first smartphones with 10GB RAM about two years ago. The really interesting thing is that there are not too many of them around. For some reason, smartphone manufacturers are skipping 10GB RAM and putting 12GB RAM in lots of phones.
As such, there are less than ten smartphones with 10GB RAM in existence today, while there are already over 80 with 12GB RAM released. Strange. I wonder what is behind the skipping over 10.
The Journey Up To 10GB RAM
We talk about the marvels of bigger batteries and fast battery charging technology, we talk about improvements in display technology, and we talk about fingerprint and face sensors. It has been a crazy ride with RAM too though in the Android smartphone world, so let’s go down memory lane.
In 2015, 4GB RAM showed up on Android smartphones. It was ground-breaking then. Little did we know that it would double within a year.
Vivo and OnePlus were among the first brands to produce smartphones with 6GB RAM, and that happened in 2016. Samsung Electronics was an early promoter, producing the first set of 6GB RAM chips.
But 8GB RAM was not far off either. In 2017, these showed up in Android smartphones like OnePlus 5T, Xiaomi Mi Mix 2, Razer Phone, and ZTE’s nubia Z17 twins, among others.
List Of 10GB RAM Mobile Phones
Here are all the phones that have 10GB of RAM:
- Xiaomi Mi Mix 3: What do you get when you have a Snapdragon 845 chipset soldiered in, 10GB of RAM, a 3,200 mAh battery and a 6.39-inch AMOLED display slapped on with the Xiaomi logo? The Mi Mix 3. It runs Xiaomi’s MIUI 11 based on Android 10. Price: ₹34,800 in India.
- OnePlus 6T McLaren: Launched in January 2019, the OnePlus 6T McLaren Edition is a 10GB RAM mobile phone and has a fairly large 3700 battery, a Snapdragon 845 processor, 10GB RAM, and a 6.41-inch screen. It runs Android 9.0 Pie OS. In the United States of America, it is on sale for $560. In India, it carries a price tag of ₹50,000 and can be obtained from Amazon India.
- Vivo NEX Dual Display: Vivo put in a 6.39-inch display, same Snapdragon 845 chipset we have seen before on this list, 10GB RAM, and a 3500 mAh battery. It was released in August 2019, and runs Android 9.0 Pie OS. The price is about 960 Euro, and in India is ₹52,300.
- Xiaomi Black Shark Helo: Another 2019 release, this time in October, the Black Shark Helo has a modest 6-inch display, Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 processor, 10 GB of RAM, and a 4000 mAh battery. It sells for ₹ 37,990 in India. It can be found for as low as $415 in the USA.
- ZTE nubia Red Magic Mars: The Nubia Red Magic Mars is the last 10GB RAM mobile phone on this list. It was announced in January 2019, runs Android 9 Pie, and is powered by a Snapdragon 845 chipset, and a 3800 mAh battery. Its display is 6 inches in size.
We see a pattern here. All these 10GB mobile phones were released in 2019. All of them use the flagship-grade (at the time) Snapdragon 845 processor.
It appears that after 2019, smartphone makers did away with the idea of putting 10GB RAM in smartphones.
The Android Specs Race
In 2017, as everyone raced after 6GB of RAM and above, a Huawei official made a statement to say that 4GB RAM was enough. According to him, what Android OS needed was more optimisation to match iOS, instead of chips with higher specifications.
He has a point. Android has been a resource hog from the beginning, needing more of everything to stay competitive with iOS devices. In recent times, Google has made attempts to optimise the software, even coming up with a version called Android Go, which is designed to be much more efficient.
10GB RAM was overkill in 2018, but Android OS and apps keep getting bloated and packed full of newer features that require more processing power and resources to run. 4GB RAM in Android phones is barely adequate any more.
You can get by with 6GB RAM for smooth performance. But if you really want the best performance on a 2021 Android phone, you really shouldn’t drop below 8GB RAM, so 10GB mobile phones are solid options. This year’s top models, for example Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra, sport 12GB RAM.