Kyocera DuraForce Pro 2 is an amazing military grade, water and dust resistant, rugged smartphone with a wide view Action Camera and front dual stereo speakers. It sounds like the perfect smartphone for the outdoor adventurer.
Announced and released in November 2019, it features a smallish 5-inch IPS LCD display that is protected by Sapphire glass, so it cannot be scratched and will survive falls to the ground. Physically, this is as tough as it gets. There is IP68 water and dust resistance so the phone can stay submerged in 2 metres of water for up to 30 minutes and live to tell the story.
This toughened mobile device came out as the most durable smartphone of 2018 in a JerryRigEverything test.
The DuraForce Pro 2 is certainly not your regular smartphone. It is the first of its kind. The rear camera has a dual lens config, and the second lens is the dedicated super wide view Action Camera for capturing video on the go.
Other features include a side-mounted fingerprint sensor, 100+dB dual front speakers. And why are we not surprised that it is available only in colour Black? Paint it black, please.
Under the hood is a decent Qualcomm Snapdragon 630 chipset coupled with 4GB of RAM. Internal storage is 64GB and you can extend that with a memory card of up to 512GB in size. The battery is of 3240 mAh in capacity and has both Quick Charge and wireless charging support.
Isn’t a 3240mAh battery too small for an outdoors smartphone like the DuraForce Pro 2? Not when combined with a 5″ screen and a power-efficient Snapdragon 630 processor.
The smallish size means it is handy and you do not have to worry about dropping it while having fun or fighting to save a life. In addition, that small screen size means less battery drain, so you do not run out of power while doing your thing.
If you are an outdoor fun lover, or work actively in security or search-and-rescue, this is the rugged smartphone you should be looking at.
Kyocera DuraForce Pro 2 Specifications and Features
Wireless Network and Software
- 2G: GSM, GPRS, EDGE 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 MHz
- 3G: UMTS, WCDMA, HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100 MHz
- 4G: LTE bands 1(2100) / 2(1900) / 3(1800) / 4(1700/2100) / 5(850) / 7(2600) / 13(700) / 66(1700/2100)
- SIM Type: Nano-SIM, Push-to-talk
- OS / Software: Android 8.1 Oreo
Design, Form Factor and Appearance
- Dimensions: 1150.2 x 73.4 x 13.5 mm
- Weight: 243g
- Display: 5-inch, 1080 x 1920 pixels, 19:9 aspect ratio, IPS LCD display with Sapphire crystal glass protection
- Sensors: Fingerprint, Ambient light, Accelerometer, Proximity, Compass, Gyro, Barometer
- Build: IP68 dust/water resistance, MIL-STD-810G military grade
- Colours: Black.
- Processor Type: 64-bit Octa-core 2.2 GHz Cortex-A53
- Processor Name: Qualcomm Snapdragon 630
- Graphics Processor: Adreno 508
- RAM: 4 GB
- Internal Storage: 64 GB
- External Storage: microSD, up to 512 GB (hybrid slot)
Photography and Video
- Rear Camera: 13 megapixels, auto-focus, + 8 megapixels ultra-wide sensor (dual camera), LED flash, 2160p@30fps video recording
- Front-facing Camera: 5 megapixels lens, AI Portrait 2.0, 1080p@30fps video capture
- Music Support: MP3/WAV/eAAC+ player
- Audio: 3.5mm audio jack
- Loudspeaker: Stereo Speakers (dual front)
- Video Support: MP4/MPEG4 player
- FM Radio: Yes
- Bluetooth: v5.0, A2DP
- WiFi: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/i/r/k, hotspot
- GPS: Yes, A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS, GALILEO
- USB: microUSB v3.1, Type-C 1.0 reversible connector
- Charging: Quick Charge 2.0, Qi wireless charging
- Battery Type and Capacity: Non-Removable Lithium-Polymer 3240mAh
- Announced: November 2018
- Availability: November 2018
Kyocera DuraForce Pro 2 Price and Availability
The DuraForce Pro 2 rugged smartphone sells for about $450. While it is officially available in the United States, it has global GSM support and you can always order one to be shipped across to you wherever you are.
Disclaimer: While we take the pains to ensure accuracy, we can not guarantee that the information on this page is 100% correct. If you think that any information for the current phone is wrong or missing, please contact us.