Mobile phone displays have become more sophisticated, as most smartphones now are fitted with AMOLED and LCD displays with better response times, faster, more responsive screens and perhaps more fragile technology. The Apple iPhone has not been left out, with the device getting more improved displays since it debuted in 2007.
However, in spite of its improved displays, the iPhone still suffers from a number of bugs from time to time. In this piece, we will take a closer look at why your Apple iPhone display stops responding and how to fix this bug.
A number of factors can cause an Apple iPhone display to misbehave, with the more common causes rising from software problems. This could be due to the presence of a malicious app or low device memory space. Aside this, a number of other physical causes can also affect iPhone displays, especially if the display is covered in dust or dirt.
Here are some quick tips to help you gain control of your iPhone back when the display is not responsive:
- Try to reboot the device: You can attempt rebooting your smartphone when the display freezes as a first step to fixing this issue. If you use newer models of the iPhone (iPhone 8 and newer) you can follow these steps:
- Hold and release the Volume Up button.
- Then hold and release the Volume Down button.
- Press and hold the Side button, then release it when the Apple logo appears.
For the iPhone 7 and older:
- Press and hold the Volume Down button and Power button at the same time, then release the buttons when the Apple logo appears.
- For models from the iPhone 6 and older, press and hold the Power button and the Home button for a couple of seconds and release both when the Apple logo appears.
- Update your apps and software version: Sometimes, your Apple iPhone display may malfunction when certain apps are unstable or out of date. If your device freezes when using certain apps, this may be an indicator that those apps are out of date and need an update. To do this, follow these steps:
- Open the App Store.
- Scroll to the bottom of the screen and click on Updates. When you do this, a new screen will show you a list of apps that need updates.
- Click the Update button next to out-of-date apps to get the newest updates.
When your updates are complete, reboot your device and see if the display is still unresponsive.
- Reset your iPhone: Your Apple iPhone display may stop responding when certain system settings have been altered by an update or a manual customization. To reverse this, you can try resetting your iPhone with these steps:
- Go to Settings > General > Reset menu.
- Select Reset all settings. After doing this, you will be asked to enter your passcode, after this, click Reset settings to confirm.
Your device should restart when the reset is finished, returning to its default state. Enable all the necessary features and then see if your iPhone’s screen is now responding properly.
- Restore your iPhone in iTunes: If your Apple iPhone display is still not responding after trying the tips above, then you may need to restore your device in Recovery Mode. This will let iTunes gain access to the operating system when your display is unresponsive. To successfully carry this out, you need a PC (Windows or Mac) with the latest version of iTunes software installed. Connect your device to the PC, enter Recovery Mode, then follow these simple steps:
- Press and release the Volume Up button.
- Repeat step 1 but with the Volume Down button this time.
- Press and hold the Side/Power Button till the Connect to iTunes Screen shows.
- Select Update to restore your device without deleting any files when you see the option to Restore or Update.
- If you want to restore your iPhone from a previous iOS backup, then click the Restore option and follow the instructions to the letter.
Make sure you DO NOT DISCONNECT your device from the computer until iTunes tells you to.
These tips above should help you regain control of your device if the issue is a software problem. For issues that may have been a result of physical damage or impact, it’s best to consult a technician.
You are reading Mobility Arena, the essential guide for mobile phone users around the world. Be sure to check out our homepage for all the latest news and resources. To be notified of the most important articles and the best smartphone deals, join our WhatsApp Group and follow us on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube. Don’t know where to start? Check out our reviews.