I am a fan of big phones. I have always been partial to large screen phones with excellent battery life. I recently got the iPhone 6 Plus. I had actually bought the iPhone 6, but after just one day of using it, I found the screen real estate of the phone to be too small. If you are considering getting the 6 Plus, find the few things you need to know in this Apple iPhone 6 Plus Review.
Apple iPhone 6 Plus Review: SIZE
The first thing you need to know with the iPhone 6 Plus is that it is big. iPhone users are notorious for believing their phones were better for being small and sleek. That has changed. This device is half way between the iPhone 6 and the iPad Mini. It is huge. It is very huge. It is HUGE. 5.5 inches huge. It is the biggest iPhone ever made. Old iPhones came in two sizes. The largest was 4 inches. This is a LARGE difference.
It means using the phone with one hand is difficult. Apple introduced “Reachability” to assist usability. This feature helps but doesn’t change the issue the screen is big.
Apple iPhone 6 Plus Review: BATTERY
Second thing you need to know is that the battery life for the 6 Plus is astounding and outstanding compared with past models.
The quoted web browsing time over 4G or Wi-Fi is pegged at 12 hours. Apple reckons you can get up to 14 hours of life from a single charge during video playback, or up to 80 hours from pure music playback, on nominal use I get about 2 days of use. But with heavy chatting, browsing, video watching, and general hard driving, you get roughly a day of power. Typically I find I still have 20% of power by 6 pm. iPhone users can now go about their day without their charger 🙂
The only problem is that unlike most brands, Apple has not started implementing Rapid Charging on their phones, meaning even if it doesn’t drain as fast as most of the older models, it still takes as long to charge. With the new rapid charging feature, other smartphones such as Motorola’s Droid Turbo and Samsung’s Galaxy Note 4 can add up to 8 hours of battery life by charging for as little as 15 minutes.
Apple iPhone 6 Plus Review: DISPLAY
This is the first iPhone to house a full “HD” display. The display is bright, clear and great. Watching HD movies is amazing with the 1080 x 1900 resolution and 401ppi of the iPhone 6 Plus.
The colours are not popping like they do on the S5 or G3, in my opinion. Apple claims a lot of things about this display. For example, they claim that it has a fingerprint resistant oleophobic coating. I haven’t seen any difference from my other phones.
Apple iPhone 6 Plus Review: CAMERA
It’s an 8 MP shooter. The front camera is a 1.2 FaceTIme HD camera. Apple has obviously done some work on the camera shots and the large display doesn’t hurt.
The 6 Plus Camera has OIS (Optical Image Stabilization). This is the same technology that has been available on the Lumia 920 and others for years. Only in this case, it integrates with the A8 chip, the Gyroscope and the Motion Co-processor to reduce shaking.
In real life, the camera works, low light pictures are a bit better than average on other phones. The camera is great, arguably the best camera in a smartphone ever. See a few low light shots here:
Apple iPhone 6 Plus Review: OTHER DETAILS
Other things to note about this phone include:
- it is a premium device. It is slender, slim, and slippery, so without a case it’s difficult to pick up or hold on to.
- Call Quality and Audio is great. Speakerphone audio is good also. Compared with the Blackberry Passport, it is tinny but good enough for everyday use.
- Messaging is simple and great. It’s always been a strong suit of Apple. All popular chat clients are available
- Safari Browser is great and syncs your account across iOS devices. So, you can be looking at a page on the phone, and open the same on your iPad or Macbook.
- Speakers are not front-facing so sound is dispersed.
- Keyboard is great and you can now download and install SwiftKey or other 3rd party Keyboards.
- FingerPrint Sensor is fast and secure. There is no bypass that I know of. It works once registration is done.
- The phone is fast. Very Fast. It’s not the fastest phone I have seen, but this is a fast phone.
- Apple Pay is fantastic, integrates well with services like Uber and co.
- The Headphone port is at the bottom of the phone. People used to other phones might be taken aback by this.
Apple iPhone 6 Plus Review: Summary
Bottom line: every year Apple releases a new flagship. This is the best to date. The bigger display is good. Battery life is good (not best in class), but needs a power saving mode. Apps are great. Price – OMG high!
If you have always loved iPhones and want more screen estate, then this is the phone for you. If you are rich, want a premium device and don’t mind the size. This is also the phone for you.
Let me know if this was helpful or if you have questions by commenting below.
No Comments »