In the absence of a computer, you can use your phone as an alternative to cast your contents onto the projector screen. You can do this by use of a cable or wirelessly over Wi-Fi.
You will need a wireless display dongle to connect your phone to the projector wirelessly. It is an inexpensive device that can be got at any online store or electronics store. With a display dongle, you will be able to connect your phone to other devices like your TV, speakers, among others.
Here are some of the ways you can use to connect the two devices together –
Using a Chromecast is one of the easiest and popular ways to connect your phone to a projector. This wireless device is compatible with all phones.
1. Turn on your projector
2. The Chromecast will be plugged into the Projector HDMI port
3. The power cable will be plugged into the USB port of the projector
4. Visit the Google Play Store and download the “Google Home app”
5. Launch the app
6. Tap on “Accounts” and input the necessary info.
7. Tap on the profile icon at the bottom of the screen, then choose “mirror device” (a warning might pop up notifying you that your device isn’t optimized for casting. Just tap on “OK”. Your phone will connect to the Chromecast regardless.
8. Tap on “cast screen/audio”.
9. Your mobile device will connect successfully and you can start showing the contents of your phone on the projector.
This is also a media-streaming device just like Chromecast, but just a cheaper alternative to it. With this device, you will be able to cast all your phone contents onto the projector. For this to work without a hitch, your phone and the projector must support Miracast.
There is a high chance your phone will support it, so for the projector, you’ll need to get a Miracast receiver.
1. Turn on the projector
2. Find the HDMI port on the projector where the Miracast can be plugged into, then the power cord will be plugged into the projector’s USB port.
3. Download and install the Miracast app. Tap on “wireless display” settings and turn on the “screen sharing” function.
4. A list of devices will be shown, pick the Miracast adapter. An on-screen instruction will guide you on how to complete the remaining connection process.
5. If you’re getting confused or it isn’t connecting, you can use the adapter user manual for additional info on how to connect both successfully.
• Wi-Fi direct (for Android devices)
If Wi-Fi direct can be used directly with your Android OS without having to download and install any third-party app, then you can use Wi-Fi direct to connect the projector to your device.
However, for this to work, Wi-Fi direct must also be supported on your projector. You can check the user’s manual to know if it supports it. If it does, then you are good to go.
1. Switch to mirroring setting
Check your projector for a switch or setting that says “screen/device mirroring”, and switch to this setting.
2. Enable Wi-Fi direct
How Wi-Fi direct is enabled differs from phone to phone, but there is general navigation you can use as a guideline —
• Go to settings
• Tap on Connections or Network and Internet
• Tap on Wi-Fi and enable it
• Tap on Wi-Fi Preferences or Advanced Options
• Tap on Wi-Fi Direct prompt
Your Smartphone will then search for nearby devices with Wi-Fi direct. When your projector is seen, tap on connect and follow any instruction that appears on your screen. When you’re done, your phone will be connected to the projector, and you can use it for what you want.
How to connect a phone to a projector using a USB
1. Connect your phone to the projector
You will use a USB cord to connect your phone to the projector. A security prompt will appear on your phone, requiring you to confirm the connected device security. You will tap on “confirm”.
If you are using an iPhone, your contents will start showing on the projector screen. However, if it takes too long to synchronize your phone with the projector, press the source button on the projector. A connection option will appear, select it. This should synchronize both devices now.
If it is an android phone, you will have to download the Ezcast app if it doesn’t automatically start showing on the projector screen, or if nothing happens after plugging the USB cord into the projector.
2. Download the Ezcast app
You will get the Ezcast app from the Google Play Store. Download and install it.
3. Launch it
You will launch the app and tap on the “connect” icon. A menu will appear, tap on “USB Debugging” then enable it.
4. Confirm security
You will have to confirm the security. After confirmation, you will wait a bit for the projector to synchronize with your Android device.
How to connect a phone to a projector using an HDMI
There are some projectors that don’t have a USB port, what you will find is an HDMI port. Nevertheless, you can still connect your phone to them; you will just need an additional device known as an MHL.
Mobile High-Definition Link (MHL) is a device for connecting devices with varying ports to one another. It will connect the devices and allow them to transmit digital video and audio.
1. Get the devices ready
You will need a micro USB cable and an MHL Micro USB to HDMI video converter.
2. Turn on the projector
Connect the projector to the power source.
3. Plug the devices
You will plug an HDMI cable into the adapter port, then the other end into the projector HDMI port.
The micro USB cable of the adapter will go into your phone’s USB port.
Power is now being supplied to all devices.
4. Wait for synchronisation
Your phone screen should show the process of synchronization. Once it has successfully synchronized, you are good to go.
Note: make sure the adapter you buy has a USB cable that is suitable for your phone’s port. iPhone and Android USB ports are different, same as some Samsung devices, so get the MHL to HDMI adapter for the respective ports.
Why is my device showing pictures or having no sound?
If it is showing no picture, check the projector to ascertain if the lamp is on, and if it is in the correct input channel.
If the issue is no sound, check your phone and projector to ascertain that neither is muted, and it is at a reasonable volume that will make it very audible. After checking these and the issue persists, then there is a problem with the adapter. It means it might not be compatible with your phone.
To be on the safe side, if you want to get an adapter, state the brand of your projector and your phone, the attendants at the electronic store might have one or two pieces of advice to give you.
Also, the issue might be with the HDMI cable, especially if it is an old cable you have had around for a long time without using it. Just because it sizes the port of your projector doesn’t mean it is the cable for your signal type. You will need to get yourself a new cable and, and make sure to ask if it will work for the connection method and devices you want to use it on.
Before embarking on the methods shown in this article, make sure you do your research to know the suitable method for your projector and phone model; this is because some models tend to have wider adoption while others have limits. Just a quick search on Google will provide you with the answers you need.
You are reading Mobility Arena.
- Don’t miss our reviews.
- Join our WhatsApp Group, to be notified of the most important articles and deals,
- Follow us on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube.