Librem 5 smartphone Quick Specs: PureOS smartphone. Announced August 2017. Features 5.71-inch display, NXP i.MX 8M chipset, 8 MP selfie camera, 13 MP rear camera, 3 GB RAM, 32 GB internal memory, and a 3600 mAh battery.
Librem 5, the phone that the manufacturer says is focused on security by design and privacy protection by default. It is equipped with three (3) hardware kill switches (for cellular modem, WiFi/Bluetooth, camera/microphone). If all three switches are turned off at the same time, then GNSS and all sensors are also turned off. The specially designed hardware enables the user to stay in control of the flow of information.
It also features a 3FF Smart card reader for OpenPGP card, replaceable cellular modem on M.2 card, and a replaceable WiFi/Bluetooth on M.2 card.
The Librem 5 doesn’t run Android nor iOS but instead runs an open source operating system called PureOS. One other key feature is the ability to connect the phone to a monitor or laptop dock and use it as a desktop computer.
There are two versions – the regular version and the USA version. The difference is that the Librem 5 USA is made in the United States of America via a US-based supply chain for increased security. This is perhaps the only smartphone made in America in 2021.
Librem 5 Specifications
Wireless Network and Software
- 2G mobile network bands: GSM, GPRS, EDGE 900 / 1800 / 1900 MHz.
- 3G mobile network bands: UMTS, WCDMA, HSDPA 900 / 2100 MHz
- 4G mobile network bands: LTE VoLTE 1(2100) / 2(1900) / 3(1800) / 5(850) / 7(2600) / 8(900) / 20(800) / 25(1900) / 26(850) / 28(700) / 38(2600) / 40(2300) / 41(2500) – differs across variants
- 5G mobile network bands: No.
- SIM Type: Nano-SIM
- Software / OS: PureOS
Design, Form Factor, Appearance
- Dimensions: 150 x 75 x 15.5 mm
- Weight: g
- Display: 5.7″, 720×1440 pixels, IPS TFT screen.
- Colours: Dark Grey.
- Physical Build:
Internal Hardware Specs
- Processor Type: 64-bit 1.5GHz Quad-Core, Cortex-A53.
- Processor Name: NXP® i.MX 8M
- Graphics Processor: Vivante GC7000 Lite
- RAM: 3 GB
- Internal Storage: 32 GB
- External Storage: microSD storage expansion (up to 2TB)
Photography, Video Recording
- Rear Camera: 13 MP camera, f1.9 Aperture, LED flash, 1080p@30fps video recording
- Front-facing Camera: 8 MP, f2.0 Aperture, 1080p@30fps video capture.
Audio, Video Playback
- Music Support: PCM, AAC / AAC + / eAAC + / MP3 / AMR – NB / WB / APE
- Audio: 3.5 mm audio jack
- Loudspeaker: Mono speaker
- Video Support: H.264/MP4/MPEG4 player
- FM Radio:
- Digital Compass: Yes.
- Accelerometer: Yes.
- Proximity Sensor: Yes
- Ambient Light Sensor: Yes
- Barometer: No.
- Pedometer: No.
- Heart Rate Monitor: No.
- Gyroscope (G-Sensor): Yes.
- Fingerprint Scanner:
- Face Unlock:
- Iris Scanner: No.
- Motion Sensing / Gesture Control:
- Voice Control: No.
- Intelligent Digital Assistant: No.
- Infra-red Sensor: No.
- Bluetooth: v5.0
- WiFi: Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, hotspot
- GPS: Yes, Teseo LIV3F GNSS.
- USB: USB 3.0 data, Charging (Dual-Role Port), Video out
- NFC: No.
Miscellaneous Specs and Features
- Battery Type and Capacity: Removable Lithium-Ion 3600 mAh
- Battery Charging: 5V/2A (10W) Fast Charging; USB Power Delivery
- Reverse Charging: Yes.
- Announced: August 2017
- Market Availability: November 2020
Librem 5 smartphone Price and Availability
- Country Availability: United States of America. Europe. Global.
- Price: $799. The USA version sells for $1,999.
Frequently Asked Questions About Librem 5 smartphone
What operating system does Librem 5 run?
It runs an operating system called PureOS.
Is PureOS based on Android?
PureOS is a privacy-focused smartphone operating system that is not based on Google’s Android OS. It is based on Linux.
What kind of apps does the Librem 5 smartphone run?
It can run GTK-based apps and Web apps – apps that are built 100% with HTML5 and CSS. Android apps will not work on this phone.
MobilityArena Buyer’s Guide Verdict
At $799, Librem 5 is expensive as regular smartphones go. However, if you consider the specific benefits it brings to the table, including software that does not snitch on your or track you, hardware kill switches, along with the promise of lifetime updates, it is a fair price to pay.
It isn’t a phone for everybody, but if you care about your digital privacy and care about not being locked in to the ecosystems of Apple or Google, this is one of the best options available right now.
Our Buyer’s Guide Verdict is recommendation that we make based on our evaluation of the specs of the device. It is a general guide designed to help you understand how much value a smartphone offers for its price. It is not a stamp of quality assessment or an endorsement of the device or of the manufacturers. Be sure to ask questions and use your judgement when buying any device, as MobilityArena may not be held responsible for your buying decisions.
Librem 5 smartphone Review Rating
We are yet to review this smartphone and so do not have a review rating for it yet. This section will be updated with our review rating and a link to the review page, as soon as we have a review ready.
Disclaimer: While we take the pains to ensure accuracy, we can not guarantee that the specs and information on this page about the Librem 5 smartphone are 100% correct. If you think that any information for the current phone is wrong or missing, please contact us.