A motion sensor light, also known as a motion-activated light, is a type of lighting system that is designed to turn on automatically when it detects motion. It is also sometimes called a motion detector light or a security light.
As far as appearances are concerned, a motion-activated light doesn’t look markedly different from regular lights. The two look mostly the same. If you take a closer look, though, you might notice the presence of a sensor in a motion-activated light. And that is the main difference, internally and externally.
Table of Contents
Locations and places where motion-activated lights can be used
Motion sensor lights can be used in a variety of places, both indoors and outdoors. Here are some examples of places where these automated lights can be used:
- Outdoor Security Lighting: Motion-activated lights can be used as an outdoor security lighting system, illuminating the area around a home or business when motion is detected.
- Driveways and Walkways: Motion sensor lights can be installed along driveways and walkways to provide illumination when someone approaches.
- Porches and Entryways: Motion detection lights can be installed on porches and entryways to provide illumination when someone approaches the door.
- Stairways and Hallways: Motion-activated lights can be used in stairways and hallways to provide illumination when someone enters the area and can help prevent accidents in these areas.
- Garages and Workshops: They can be used in garages and workshops to provide illumination when someone enters the area.
- Closets and Pantries: Motion-activated lights can be used in closets and pantries to provide illumination when the door is opened.
- Bathrooms: Motion-activated lights can be used in bathrooms to provide illumination when someone enters the room.
Benefits of motion sensor lights
Benefits of of using motion-activated lights include:
- Increased Security: Motion sensor lights can help to deter intruders and burglars by illuminating the area around a home or business when motion is detected.
- Energy Efficiency: Motion sensor lights only turn on when motion is detected, which can help to save energy and reduce electricity costs.
- Convenience: Motion sensor lights can be more convenient than traditional lights, as they turn on automatically when motion is detected and do not require a switch to be manually turned on or off.
- Longer Bulb Life: Because motion sensor lights are only activated when motion is detected, the bulbs tend to last longer than traditional bulbs that are left on for extended periods of time.
Disadvantages of motion-activated lights
As with most things on life, motion detection lights have disadvantages too. Here are the key ones:
- False Alarms: Motion detection lights can be triggered by animals, such as cats or raccoons, which can lead to false alarms.
- Limited Range: They have a limited range and may not detect motion beyond a certain distance.
- Limited Control: These lights may not be as easy to control as traditional lights, as they only turn on when motion is detected and cannot be turned on or off manually.
How much do motion sensor lights cost?
There is a wide range of different types of motion-activated lights. As such, the prices vary depending on several factors, including the type of light, bulb, sensor, brightness, and power source. Here are some general price ranges:
- Hardwired Motion Sensor Lights: These type of motion detection lights typically range from as low as $350 all the way up to $750. These lights are best left to professional installation.
- Battery-Powered Motion Sensor Lights are a good DIY option for use in homes and offices. Prices can go from as low as $10 to $50.
- Solar-Powered Motion Sensor Lights are another DIY option for outdoor use and can range from $10 to $100 in price.
- Outdoor Motion Sensor Floodlights can cost as low as $15 and as high as $150. Some of these are solar-powered.
Motion detection lights are an affordable and convenient way to add a cool factor to your home or workplace. Besides the cool factor, it can also enhance safety and convenience in your environment.