Over the weekend, we saw the news of how a power bank exploded on the body of it’s user. This happened while he was charging his phone with the power bank in his pocket. We may ask, Why? Why would a portable battery explode all of a sudden? You guys requested we do a piece on why power banks explode, my curious mind was also yearning to learn this too. So I hereby present to you three likely causes of a portable charger’s explosion.
3 things that can make your Power bank explode
1.) Poor Battery Quality Can Make Power Bank Explode
Batteries are the major components of portable batteries. As a matter of fact, they are the most expensive part when you try to cost it individually. Most of the power banks in the market are made from Lithium-ion or Lithium-Polymer batteries, though the former is a cheaper option.
Manufacturers (in a bid to keep prices down) tend to use Lithium-ion batteries to save costs. In worst case scenarios, some manufacturers go to the extent of using recycled batteries. This increases the chances or likeliness of explosion at a later time.
2.) Wrong Circuit Design Can Make Power Bank Explode
It doesn’t just end with the quality of battery. The internal circuit design of a power bank is another likely cause of explosion. For a power bank a good circuit design entails the following :
- Power protection: A well made power bank should have power protection. This is a mechanism that ensures that the battery stops charging once it has reached full capacity.
- Short circuit control: A good portable charger should have it’s circuit fully insulated to prevent short circuit. (Short circuit means touching of wires)
- Temperature control: The ideal power bank should have a kind of temperature control such that once it hits a particular temperature, it shuts down to cool off.
If one or more of these are not built into the portable battery, the chances of a likely explosion in the future are high.
3.) Improper or Wrong Usage Can Make Power Bank Explode
What can cause a power bank to explode could be traced to us – the users. How do you handle your power banks? Exposing them to high temperatures or humidity can lead to what can cause explosion. Overcharging of power banks is bad practice, especially when it doesn’t have surge protection like we explained above. Other bad practices include spilling water on it or leaving it near a heated area, like under the sun.
So now you know the likely factors that make a power bank explode. Meanwhile be careful of dirt cheap power banks, also do not use power banks in your pockets. Cheers.
- power bank making hissing sound
- does putting power bank in the pocket effects
- will a power bank explode if overcharged
- power bank explosion
- will the powerbank explode
- i dropped my power bank
- pwwr banks explode when chagerd in car
- how hot can a power bank get
- do power banks explode
- what happens if i overcharge my power bank
- power bqnk explodes in pocket
- what happens when a powerbank burns
- how to prevent your power bank from exploding
- bulged power banks
- today powerbank explosion
- phone charger explosion
- portable charger exploded
- what to do to a spoiled circuitry of a power bank
- power bank keeps swelling
- can a plugged laptop explode