If you own an iPhone, whether it is an and have backup to iCloud active, you have 5 GB free storage from Apple, after which you have to pay a subscription for extra cloud storage. When you get a message from Apple saying, “Your iCloud storage is almost full”, it is time to decide whether you want to take up that paid subscription or you want to delete files from iCloud.
Your iCloud storage is used for iCloud Photos and to keep other things like WhatsApp backups, contacts, calendar, among others, stored and easily accessible. Backups are easily the biggest culprits behind your iCloud storage filling up quickly. Your WhatsApp backup, especially, is likely to be very heavy because of images and videos. If you want to delete files from iCloud to free up storage, I suggest that you look in that direction.
There are two ways to delete files from iCloud; one is to do it from a PC web browser, and the other is to do it from your iPhone.
How to delete files from iCloud using the iCloud website
- Open iCloud.com in a browser.
- Log in with your Apple ID.
- Click “iCloud Drive.”
- To delete a folder, select it and then click the Delete icon.
- To delete files, double-click a folder.
- Hold down CTRL while clicking each file.
- Select the Delete icon.
How to delete files from iCloud on your iPhone
- Go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud > Storage > Manage Storage.
- You will see options for Backups, Photos, and other items, as well as the size they have taken up and decide which you want to delete
- Tap on the option you want to delete from
- For each option under Backups, you have to disable the backup to delete it. Tap on Turn Off & Delete or Disable & Delete, as the case may be.
- Repeat the previous two steps for as many options as you wish.
However you choose to do it, being able to delete files from iCloud will free up some space for you buy you some time before you inevitably have to get more storage. Because, eventually, you will need more storage. Meanwhile, are you interested in the which iPhone has the best battery life?
- Don’t miss our mobile phone reviews.
- Follow our news on Google News.
- Join our WhatsApp Group, to be notified of the most important articles and deals,
- Follow us on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube.