Corning’s Gorilla Glass is the most visible name in smartphone screen protection. Many high-end smartphones have Gorilla Glass protected displays. Over 33 brands use it, including: Amazon, Asus, Samsung, Nokia, Microsoft, HTC, LG, Motorola, Sony, Oppo, Xiaomi, and ZTE. Yet, it is not the only toughened glass brand available on today’s smartphones. Gorilla Glass competitors are in use by mobile manufacturers everywhere.
Toughened or tempered glass is a type of safety glass processed by controlled thermal or chemical treatments to increase its strength compared with normal glass. Most are aluminosilicate sheet glass.
Having a toughened glass display makes your smartphone’s screen fairly scratch and damage resistant. Note that if your smartphone has toughened glass, it really does not need a screen protector. Note also that it does not mean that your smartphone display is unbreakable.
Other Screen Protection Brands
- Dragontrail is manufactured by Asahi Glass Co. of Japan. It is (or has been) used by the following brands: Oneplus, Sony, Samsung, Xolo, Lava, ZTE, Xiaomi, Innjoo, and Samsung.
- Schott AG of Germany makes Xensation, another toughened glass brand. It is new in the market and the only brand that I can confirm uses it is Huawei. Some Fero phones also use Xensation Glass screen protection.
- There is also Sapphire glass. Being made from sapphire, it is really strong. As a scratch-resistant material, sapphire scores just below diamond. But the challenges with implementing it on mobile have been cost and thickness. However, it looks like Apple might be finding a way to deal with those two issues. Considering that almost a quarter of iPhone users end up with a broken screen (and Apple has refused to name the toughened glass used on iPhones till date), sapphire glass on iPhones would be a welcome development.
Are there any manufacturers already using sapphire glass now? Sure: Vertu. If you can afford their $10,000 TI, for example, you’ve got a display protected by the second toughest substance in nature.
- Cornings also produces a Gorilla Glass competitor, Concore Glass.
- Dinorex Glass is a product of Nippon Electric Glass (NEG). The name Dinorex is coined from the reputation of dinosaurs for toughness and strength. Manufacturers using Dinorex include: Umi, Meizu, and BQ.
- Panda King Glass is an alkali-aluminosilicate sheet glass manufactured by Tunghsu Group. It is in use on Fero smartphones.
In conclusion, that your smartphone does not have Gorilla Glass does not mean that it does not have screen protection. Check the specifications sheet. You may find some other brand of protection glass listed there.
- dinorex screen guard
- gorilla glass competitors